Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Replacing intake gaskets (DIY TUTORIAL)

I agree with some of TPEHAK's statement. You should plan a whole day for your first rotate, and I also think it's unnecessary for an intake gasket swap.

I highly disagree with TPEHAK's statement that 80% will leak again. That is ludicrous. That would require a re-design of probably millions of similar motorcycles. It's his one experience with his one motorcycle, and he is definitely not a mechanic. His one experience he's touting as a fact for all Buells does not make it true for millions of Buell/Harley intake gaskets as a whole.

In just the last 10 years, I've swapped intake gaskets on Sportys or Buells about 3 times a year. Thats 30-ish jobs (60 gaskets). Not one has leaked. Ever. I must be luckier than I thought

Just be patient, take your time in the tight space, use the right tool, use lube, and you will be rewarded with her sucking only where she's supposed too.

Quick question - in the middle of the job - does the top opening method only work for older bikes with the smaller air hole in the frame? I noticed the pics from various sites all show that and my bike is newer (2009) and I am unable to get the flanges to clear the heads.

The flanges will float freely on the manifold. It’s likely the seals are sticky and holding the flanges in place.

Great write up for doing the seals. It is a shame that Tpehak or whatever he is called hijacked it and spoilt it. I have only just recently joined this forum, have read many threads and have come to the conclusion that he doesn't know what he is talking about, indeed he is almost trolling all the threads he goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by David Borthwick View Post
    Great write up for doing the seals. It is a shame that Tpehak or whatever he is called hijacked it and spoilt it. I have only just recently joined this forum, have read many threads and have come to the conclusion that he doesn't know what he is talking about, indeed he is almost trolling all the threads he goes on!
    Well you my friend are a quick learner! Welcome aboard

Started to replace mine tonight, little tip. Remove the bracket for the coil. It will open up a huge area, the bottom bolts can now be loosened with ease.buell intake.jpg

Hello there!
    this thread was like a spanish telenovela when TPEHAK joined
    Anyway, thank you all for all the relevant input.

Got my 08 XT uly with 30k miles 4months ago and from a start it suffered with a lean AF on the rear cylinder... So i ran closed loop with AFV hard set to 100/100(about right for my elevation) and bike runs kinda fine.

As i had a bit of a brainfart i didn't google "seal intake leak" and thought it's just about the airbox... dumbass...
    AFV constantly around 70-80 on the rear, occasionally hiccups in the intake and quite bad fuel economy...35mpg best i had on 20miles in constant 65mph ( highway test run)
    Had ECM reflashed to latest firmware, changed sp.plugs and o2 sensor. No change... and then i finally googled the *intake seal leak* and it just explains everything...
    But to be on the safe side, i'll replace TPS as well

Last edited by Binks_no_Sake; 10-19-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112