Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing intake gaskets (DIY TUTORIAL)

I am sure everybody knows that you must first remove the air box, breather hoses, AIT sensor plug, throttle body cables at throttle body and ignition coil first. This guide will focus on removing the intake manifold itself. In order to do this without rotating the engine one must remove the air scoops on both sides of the engine. T27 screws hole both sides on.
    First you are going to remove the T27 Torx screw that holds the ignition coil bracket to the intake manifold. You will need a 1/4" ratchet and a T27 bit as shown in order to fit the space allowed.

Then remove the throttle body cables from the throttle body. I forget the size of the Allen bolt wrench necessary.

Next you must remove the Allen bolts on the right side of the intake. You can use ANY 1/4" Allen wrench without modification although all tutorials I have seen, state that you must use a special Allen wrench. You do not.

In order to
    put a sufficient amount of torque on the wrench you can either use a long Allen wrench or place a deep well socket on the end of a 3/8" extension and slide it onto the 1/4" Allen wrench to use as a "cheater pipe/breaker pipe"

Next is the most frustrating part. Loosening the 1/2" bolts that hold the left side of the manifold on. You need not remove these bolts. Simply loosen them. Upon placing new gaskets you will need to loosen them even more than was necessary to take the manifold off. In order to do this you will need a half moon wrench. The only other route would be a stubby wrench but you are not going to get a lot of torque to tighten the bolts back up. It can be done with a regular or stubby wrench but your frustrations will be through the roof. The half moon makes it way easier because otherwise you will only get 3 degrees of rotation at a time due to the finite working space.

Here is what my gaskets looked like upon removal.

Next clean your mating surfaces.

and replace gaskets.

Reverse steps in order to install.

Wow very nice write up, I need to do this and you just boosted my confidence

What gaskets did you use?

Yea, what gaskets are those? they look sweet.

Great info, thanks

Stuff like this is the reason forums are such a great resource.... This is an excellent write up....

Stuff like this is the reason forums are such a great resource.... This is an excellent write up....
    Agreed! The title of this thread should be changed to 'DIY' for purposes of searching. Maybe a mod can make this change?

I follow twin motorcycles on Facebook and they post daily pictures of what they are working on and they are constantly replacing these intake seals. And the captions they attach to them are almost sarcastic as if they are saying these seals break down very easily and 9 times out of 10 need to be replaced.

What are some symptoms that the bike might show of they need replacing?

*if, not of.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast