Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing intake gaskets (DIY TUTORIAL)

In case anyone is wondering the Allen wrench for the throttle body cables is a 3mm.

Banned
    Hello. I have 2009 Buell XB12Scg with 16500 miles.

Today I started to replace the intake manifold gaskets. Here is what I found in the intake manifold. Thick layer of dirt on the walls and the valves! Is this something I should care about or just ignore it? Is it normal?

I'm not sure if you can even recognize the valves under those dirt. I believe these valves totally lost their flow characteristics. I touched the dirt by fingers and it feels hard as rock. I think the dirt does not let the valves close the holes firmly and fire goes back in the intake manifold trough the gaps and because of this the intake manifold and the butterfly valve are full of dirt.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-01-2016 at 06:32 AM.

And that is why I run fuel treatment every other tank or 2. Might be overkill but worth it I think. Looks like burnt sugar. Did you do a breather reroute?
    Last edited by rchuff; 11-01-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Banned
    There is no breather reroute, all is stock. I closed the valves, sprayed brake cleaner inside the chambers, covered the holes by a rag and let it soak overnight, but at the morning I notices it does not help to remove or loosen the dirt. Also I tried to loosen the dirt by a plastic brush with no big success. Tonight I'm going to buy a Sea-Foam engine cleaner and intake valve cleaner and try to apply them.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-01-2016 at 02:46 PM.

You should think of doing a breather reroute so you are not sucking the crankcase crap down in your throttle body.

Banned
    I tried to spray CRC valve cleaner in the chamber and pour Sea Foam. Nothing helps. It looks like those products work only when engine are working. I'm going to assemble the intake back and try Sea Foam according the instruction. Brake cleaner gives the best result for manual cleaning by the way.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-02-2016 at 05:26 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    You should think of doing a breather reroute so you are not sucking the crankcase crap down in your throttle body.
    Breather reroute is bad idea. First of all ECM is adjusted to correct fuel mixture according intake air temperature sensor. When you replace the hoses from the intake chamber you significantly change temperature in the chamber and it causes wrong temperature reading because ECM assumes that there are additional temperature due to hoses from the engine, wrong fuel mixture causes power loss and fuel economy loss. Another issue is when you remove hoses there in no oil vapor in the chamber anymore and it causes than the air filter gets dry and engine sucks dust and dirt from the air. Plus with no oil vapor the valves and the top area of piston work with no lubrication anymore. I would not recommend you to reroute the hoses.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-10-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Breather reroute is bad idea. First of all ECM is adjusted to correct fuel mixture according intake air temperature sensor. When you replace the hoses from the intake chamber you significantly change temperature in the chamber and it causes wrong temperature reading because ECM assumes that there are additional temperature due to hoses from the engine, wrong fuel mixture causes power loss and fuel economy loss. Another issue is when you remove hoses there in no oil vapor in the chamber anymore and it causes than the air filter gets dry and engine sucks dust and dirt from the air. Plus with no oil vapor the valves and the top area of piston work with no lubrication anymore. I would not recommend you to reroute the hoses.
    absolutely positively 100% incorrect info on all counts. but then again i really don't know all that much about these bikes so disregard my opinion.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 11-10-2016 at 09:37 PM.

That escalated quickly! The only down fall to a breather reroute is finding another place to dump you're crank case vomit! Granted it should be tiny new born spit up, not me on a hard tequila night!lol. Just in case any newbs didn't catch John's sarcasm. ....

Banned
    There is only oil in the rocker box, nothing else, oil vapor is the only stuff goes out the hoses. If you use high quality oil like Mobil 1 it won't burn.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-11-2016 at 02:20 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast