Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing intake gaskets (DIY TUTORIAL)

I have replaced a ton of intake gaskets in Buells and Sportsters. I have never used a sealer, nor have I ever had an issue with them leaking after replacement.

IMHO, there's no sealer on them from the factory so it makes sense they were designed not to need it.

Banned
    Oil makes sense because it should help to slide the gasket and to set it into the place.

i took you guys' advice and went without any sealer. upon pulling my coil and wires out, i believe i found why my bike doesnt want to stay idling when cold and loss of top end power...DSC_0446.jpg

Yeah, from the looks of it, I'd say they're due for replacement.

The only one I have any sympathy for is Tbone, 200 bales of hay, that makes me tired just thinking about it !

Thanks njloco, yes my wife is an alpaca rancher by night and works for ATT by day. Her midlife crisis I think. We did have help, 2 highschool kids, and 2 of my son's, so there was 5 of us but I was the oldest.

My friend owns a small ranch outside of San Antonio. Though he usually grows his own hay when mother nature cooperates otherwise, he has to buy it by the truck load. He mostly buys those huge round hay bales, still a lot of work !

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    My friend owns a small ranch outside of San Antonio. Though he usually grows his own hay when mother nature cooperates otherwise, he has to buy it by the truck load. He mostly buys those huge round hay bales, still a lot of work !
    I've heard of guys clear up here selling hay to folks in texas. I guess its good money when they cant grow enough down south. Its got to cost those ranchers a fortune! explains why all the farmers up here have $70k pickups...

Well most Alpacas eat orchard grass, so my wife gets it mixed with alfalfa. Texas does grow a variety, but it is hard to grow orchard grass near here. She and other ranchers will bulk order orchard from Colorado for about $12.50 for a bail. The previous 3 years it was a semi truck with a freight trailer delivered to my drive way, and the Orchard hay was excellent, until there was a falling out between one of the ranchers and our supplier. Now we have not been receiving excellent hay anymore, and continue to try to buy hay from our original supplier.

Banned
    I performed quick stress analysis, and I was right, the clamp will not survive with those Blue thick gaskets under the screw torque from service manual, it will bend over and will be permanently deformed passing Yield strength. Do not use the Blue thick gaskets with new long(2009-2010) clamps. Maybe they work OK with old short clamps, but not with the new clamps.

The flange bolt minimal torque according service manual is 96 in=lbs. According bolt clamping force calculator the clamping force on one side of the flange will be more than 1500 lbs (700 kg) https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...orque_calc.htm

And here is stress analysis result with this force. For stress analysis I used the strongest steel I found in the analyzing tool library (normalized 4340 steel, Young modulus 205000 N/mm2, Yield strength 710 N/mm2). And even this material has not survived and permanently deformed according the stress analysis.

As you can see maximal stress in the flange is significantly over the what part is capable to hold.

So do not use blue think gaskets, install original thin black gaskets so the flange will compress the thin gasket and will rest on the mating surface, not on the gasket.

Or you can try to use washers with blue gaskets like I did to offset the flanges and to prevent bending the flanges and to compress the blue gaskets just enough to seal the faces.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-09-2017 at 05:11 AM.

Inactive
    I performed quick stress analysis, and I was right,
    nice work TEABAG.

Last edited by user_deleted; 11-09-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast