Thread: Spark Plug Wires

Have a question about new spark plug wires. I changed my plugs over the weekend, tried to re-use the stock wires (keep in mind, only 600 miles on the bike), but the wires just wouldn't cooperate with me trying to put them back on. They came off no problem, but going back on - no such luck. Dialectic grease was used properly on re-install. Weighing my options and want to see what you all think.

Magnecor 2557 - 8.5mm - $46.30 shipped (Amazon) - Will also check Magnecor direct for their price tomorrow
    Taylor - 8mm - $29.95 shipped (IronMachine)

I have also read about Taylor 10.4mm wires, but I can't find an XB Series application. Anyone know which version of the Sportster cables will work (there are several different models for the Sportster on the website)?

My bike is a 2010 XB12R for reference, although I know all XB Cables are the same. Also a side note - I re-gapped the NGK plugs (DCPR9EIX) to .035" as per what I have seen on the forum, I also read the NGK's should come gapped at .035" but they were no more than .030" from factory, so I had to regap. Does that sound correct?

Thanks in advanced!
    -Matt

Matt the Taylor 8mm from Ironmachine will work fine.I have had mine for 3 years now and the only problem I had was getting them on the plugs.Used lots of dialectic grease and patience paid off.

Matt the Taylor 8mm from Ironmachine will work fine.I have had mine for 3 years now and the only problem I had was getting them on the plugs.Used lots of dialectic grease and patience paid off.
    Thanks, that what I was leaning towards. Hopefully I can get the wires this next weekend. We shall see!

Thanks again,
    Matt

I have the iron machine ones on all 3 of my bikes. Never an issue with them

just recently replaced mine with new upgraded OEM wires, no issues...replacing the original OEM that were torn.

I re-gapped the NGK plugs (DCPR9EIX) to .035" as per what I have seen on the forum, I also read the NGK's should come gapped at .035" but they were no more than .030" from factory, so I had to regap. Does that sound correct?
    regardless if it states they are already gapped, check it yourself avoiding any doubt

Dear Matt

No need to buy new ones...........getting them back on just requires a little patience.........on the plug side....use a little bit of grease so that it will slide easier.........push the rubber fitting backwards over the cable so that you can see the connector well place it on the pin of the sparcplug........place ist vertically and then use the flatside of a screwdriver to push the conncetor on the pin..........its fiddely but works when you keep the pin and the connector well line up..........then use the screwdriver again with the flat side to push the rubber fitting over the top bit of the sparc plug..........careful not to perforate the rubber.

Chris