Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble getting back into first gear

Sometimes it simply does not want to go back into first. What gives?

mine will grind trying to go from second to first sometimes even around 20mph or so

I have found this to be a problem on many bikes and atvs as well.. try going from 2nd to nuetral and then back to 1st

Is your clutch properly adjusted? Try pushing the bike in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in - if it's harder than in Neutral/drags, then you need an adjustment.

Mine makes a clicking noise when I try to go into first from 2nd sometimes, usually when I'm doing 20+mph. Once I slow down It works fine. I always thought it was so you don't drop first by accident.

Is your clutch properly adjusted? Try pushing the bike in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in - if it's harder than in Neutral/drags, then you need an adjustment.
    +1 I adjusted mine and changed the fluid in my tranny and it made a world of difference.

hi................shifting problems with the XBs are mainly caused by a poorly adjusted clutch, to much tension on the primary chain and at times related to the oil used.

Chris

I adjusted my clutch. I can finally push it in first gear with the clutch pulled in but I still have some trouble when I come to a stop getting to go back into first. I'm running fresh stock HD primary oil. Any suggestions? My primary chain may be a tad over .5 inches of play as well.

hi...................try the bel ray gear saver oil....................and you have to be very meticulous with adjusting the clutch......i don't know which bike you have.........e.g. the clutch of pre 2006 XB 12 models have different clutch springs (harder)................and are a little more difficult to fine tune..........on the other hand but the spring is OK with a 1430cc engine which the later parts don´t......they slip under full load.

Chris

Inactive
    try the bel ray gear saver oil
    well said tiger. i've been preaching the benefits of Bel-Ray gearsaver and Silkolene red for years but nobody is listening. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast