Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats this part?

on my bike (that i got yesterday) i see a controller on top of my airbox, it has some wires comming out of it and a cable- someone removed the cable.
    so i want to know whats it for and why would it have been removed?

That is the stepper motor for the interactive exhaust on your XB12. If you have some sort of aftermarket exhuast on your bike, it is necessary to remove at least the cable for the interactive exhuast. The proper way it should be done it to remove everything completely and replace the motor with a emulator. This makes the computer think that the motor is still there, but you can still run your aftermarket exhaust without it. The function of that motor is so that at various RPM's it opens and closes a flap in the stock exhuast pipe depending on the throttle you apply and the RPM you are at. It helps to increase bottom and mid range power.

Why a emulator?? I have a 12 and the race ecm takes care of the problem. I don't see anything proper about making the computer think something that is wrong. The proper way is Race ECM or Direct Link. Then it can all be removed without issue.

what does the race ecm actually do?? no one list its claims. from what i can tell it does not raise the redline.

It brings up the rpm just a tad. But its main job is fuel and air. Your stocker cannot adjust the same.

To my knowledge, the race ecm does not take care of deleting the interactive motor.

PartsGuy - You're right, at least on an '04 & '05 model, which should be the same through '07. The race ECU looks for an input signal from the interactive motor and will set a DTC if not found.

tbramich - either disconnect the cables and leave the signal wires in place OR do as PartsGuy said and use an emulator.

thanks guys

Hmm.. I thought the emulator was not necessary for race ecm on an 07 xb..

tbramich.. you can remove it if you don't mind the engine light being on.. but I just disconnected mine at the muffler and tucked the excess bihind the front pulley cover on the right side

I have a 04 xb12s and has the race ecm and no check engine light. Its been done for over 4 years now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast