Thread: Another Trouble Connecting ECMSpy Thread

Hey folks. It pains me to post up on a topic that's been so thoroughly covered but none of the threads I found online helped me resolve my issue. I recently purchased a cable from ASB. Downloaded and installed the cable drivers from the FTDI site. Seemed to install fine. When I plug in the cable and go to the device manager I can see a USB Serial Port (COM4) pop up. Of course this disappears when I unplug the USB cable. When I go to the Properties of the USB Serial Port it shows the FTDI driver and the correct version. I assume I'm on the right track here.

I feel like I'm connecting to the bike properly also. The ignition is on. Kill switch is on. Cable is in the diagnostic port before I connect. Then I open ECMSpy, go to the connection tab and try autodetect. I don't get any errors and it says COM detected. Only problem is there's no connection with the bike.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to do. I know these damn cables are finicky. I've heard everything from "you have to do the connection steps in a certain order" to "you have to use the same USB port each time". I can uninstall everything and start over. What do you think?

Although I mentioned above that I hadn't been getting any errors I did notice at least once an error that said "Transmission timed out!" No idea what that means.

Another thing to offer up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers several times now. I get the impression that Windows is installing the driver automatically rather than use what I've installed from FTDI. I've tried to interrupt this several times but I don't think I'm having any luck. I've also tried updating the drivers but I get a message simply stating that the drivers are up to date and I don't need to update. Argh!

Hit the online/offline button at the top left after you auto detect the port.

^ This. I'm an idiot. This is all it took.

glad it fixed your problem!

where exactly did you find the online/offline link on your program?

Quote Originally Posted by nazark_18 View Post
    Hit the online/offline button at the top left after you auto detect the port.
    I am having the SAME problems that you had, first it wasn't communicating, it was disconnecting, or it said it was. Then it said I was missing dll files, I did everything that you did.. Is he saying to make sure the computer itself is online? Because mine is, and I am still having the problems. He said look to the top left after it auto detected the port. Is he saying after you click the red button, and the screen pops up telling you what port it is connected to? Because I couldn't find anything on that screen that asked if I was online or offline in the top left of the screen. Suggestions as to what that was you checked?

He's talking of the button with the key logo or plug logo depending on which version you have.

EDIT:

Follow along here http://www.ecmspy.com/ug_mono/V2.0/menu.shtml

Last edited by lowkey; 04-10-2018 at 12:38 AM.