Thread: Painting the Frame

Anyone painted their frame WITHOUT taking the bike apart.
    Reason for asking is i want to paint the bike and i am not mechanically gifted so taking the bike apart is not on the list of things to do.
    Wondering how hard it was if possible at all.

If you don't take the bike apart you wont get the whole frame. Tape off everything you can and prep the surface good and get as much as you can.. if that is what you want.

How much does it cost to get the frame nickel plated? i was curious cause when i hit 25k im goin to tear down my bike and rebuild it..

How much of the frame do you want to paint?

At the very least you're going to need to remove the airbox cover (outer). The triple trees should probably be removed as well so you can paint behind there.

If you want to do the swing-arm, you need to remove the rear brake line. But it's probably easier to remove the entire rear brake system whole.

Tape, tape, tape, tape, tape, tape, tape, and when you think you're done...
    Tape.
    Tape.
    Tape.

Ask me how I know...

Hi H2oWerker.
    Looked through your pics on that link.... looks like you miht be nearly done or is that wrong.
    Firstly, are you a mechanic and how hard is it to take the bike apart???
    I am not mechanically minded but willing to learn but would i be getting in too deep?
    Thanks for the input.

I'm almost ready to begin reassembly. So you are correct, and yes I am a mechanic (industrial machine repair).

Taking the bike apart isn't hard at all...putting it back together is another story. With a service manual and parts book everything is already laid out for you (as far as what goes where and order of reassembly). So it's hard to get too lost.

But for the non-mechanically inclined this may be more than you want to get into as a 1st project. Tools are costly! You wont need any specialty tools, but a lift, torque wrench, and all the misc. sockets etc. will add up to a hefty sum if you don't already possess them.

Starting out on something less involved would probably be best. It can be very disheartening if you aren't able to finish something you were intent on accomplishing, and it would allow you to build your skills/knowledge up to a point that this wouldn't be such a monumental task. Unless you've got someone you can lean on like a friend or relative that wrenches on cars/trucks who'd be willing to lend a hand/tools.

Why do you want to repaint the frame?

Thanks for the info..... might be biting off more than i can chew.
    I am trying to get the bike to look like the streetfighter look..... i'm in the process of ordering the subframe lift kit, i have cut off the cheese grater and trying to find the perfect front end... looking at trying to see if it is possible to fit the 1125cr light unit or find some other mask/light unit front end. But to really top it off i want to change the paint colour... keeping the red/gold but going for a darker red.... there is a paint company called ALSA that do some pretty cool paints and effects so thats the reason.
    Again, thanks alot for your time.

Are you planning to have them paint it? Or are they a supply company?
    Are you looking for something like this?

Find it here.

Thats the idea... love that style of bike and the buell lightning fits it well.
    Thats basically the idea of painting the bike.
    With the paint i was going to order it and do it myself.. the ALSA company has some really neat paint effects and its hard to decide which one to go with without over kill.
    http://www.alsacorp.com
    Checkout the site and yu'll see what i mean.

H2Owerker ... that is some awesome work! should look great once re-assembled. Your definitely gonna bang that out in record time!

meetch