Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XB almost left me stranded

So I was stuck behind cars on Mount Palomar. I am spinning at 3000 to 4000 rpm. All of a sudden she tries to die. When I come to a stop she won't idle. I have to keep giving her gas or she dies. This even happens while going down the road. At 5000 rpm it feels like I hit the rev limiter. I was getting bad lean surge after the bike started to act up. Once home I try and start her and she idles to 3000 rpm and dies. Sometimes she will surge for a short time and die. I make it home.

The XB12r is a 07 with 14000 miles. I have a D&D exhaust, and a K&N air filter. I have played with the maps. She was running real good on the latest map I made. I put the stock map in and the same symptoms. I changed the plugs and the were black and wet. Too rich I assume. I opened up the air box and it was all oily inside. I had cleaned the intake 1500 miles ago and it was black and oily. I decide it was time for the breather reroute. I cleaned out the whole thing with seafoam. I did multiple TPS resets. I tested the TPS. All seems ok.

I have had a few backfires and even one through the throttle body. She just won't run with out me twisting the throttle. She falls flat on her face. I open the butter fly on the throttle body and I see black oily mess in the front cylinder. The rear one is cleaner. I see carbonized black oily mess on what little I can see in the throttle body on the front jug. Both cylinders seems to fire. I ordered plug wires and a coil. I might put new intake seals on the throttle body.

Any clue? I have read multiple near exact issues but no fixes to the problem.

do you have the regulator upgrade? 03-07 didnt have them. 08 & up do. Might be your fuel pump wires to. Whens last time you looked at your plugs? Also the oil is probably blow-by from the breathers. Happens a lot when racing or stopngo riding. Breather re-route? Might be as simple as that. Look at the battery connections to. Make sure their tight.

Sounds alot like the cam position sensor problem I had.

I put new plugs in when it cooled down. I also did the reroute of the breather bs. I rebuilt the fuel pump 3000 miles ago. It had chaffed wires. I put a fuel line around the wires and put it back together. It has been fine since. I will have to check the regulator and cam position sensor.

+1 on possible cam sensor problem. I worked on a bike that had the same symptoms. Turned out the cam sensor itself was fine, but the wiring for it was chaffed and was intermittently causing the poor running issues described above.

Check your battery connections and have it load tested. I had the same issues show up at the end of last season. I bought a new battery and now she runs great again. I was on an 08 with original battery with 18K miles.

While you are testing things you may want to make sure that your Oxygen sensor is working properly. That could help explain the obvious over fueling. If the sensor goes bad the ecm might not recognize it as a problem if it is just sending the wrong signal. It will attempt to correct what the sensor tells it by adding fuel. There for add fuel but not throw a CEL. Just an idea, I have seen it happen on cars before. However I am unsure of how to ohm out the sensor to check for proper resistance. I am sure someone else on here can tell you though.

I am getting backfire in the intake manifold flames and all. I might have a intake seal problem. It tries to idle and then farts into the intake manifold. American sport bike owner says maybe but he thinks it might be cylinder head temp sensor or cam position sensor.

The front cylinder had blown its intake seal. It was all wonky. It still will not idle but it starts and tries to run for a little while. What now to check?

I am starting to lean toward cam position sensor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast