Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody running Slick 50 Engine Treatment?

I have been using Slick 50 Engine Treatment in all my bikes for years now (cars too, for that matter). I believe in the product, and believe I have enjoyed real benefits from it (lower engine temps, better performance, improved gas mileage, etc.) Bought some to run in my '05 XB12R with AMSoil, but wanted to ask before I do.

I Would not ruin amsoil with slick 50.... just my opinion.

OK. You know I am going to ask. Why?

As I understand it, Slick 50 is essentially a Teflon suspension - a liquid carrier (motor oil) containing a solid (PTFE Teflon).

Email Amsoil and let us know if no one's had experience with this. As a side note, here's what the Slick 50 website says in the FAQ section:

Yes, Slick 50® Engine Treatment is compatible with synthetic oils. (Note: We have a special version optimized for synthetic oil users. Try our Slick 50® Synchron® Synthetic Engine Treatment).

Inactive
    with the phenomenal lubricating properties and "staying power" of modern lubricants, any additive like slick 50 or a host of other expensive additives on the market are an utter waste of money. look at it this way...you'll never live long enough or put enough miles on the bike to realize whatever benefits if any an additive might add to your motor. back in the 70's when engine oils were not very good on a multitude of levels, most everyone ran some sort of additive to oils. but nowadays? fuhgitaboutit. IHMO

I run something similar to what you are asking about. Amsoil + a little ZMax. I believe ZMax is very similar to Slick50, and I know ZMax works great. I can hear a difference when I add it. The sound changes slightly, in a good smooth way. I think Amsoil is great by itself, and this makes it a little better. Go for it.

Thank you for your responses. It is good to have that refirmation that the product is compatable with all lubricants. But here's the thing - AutoZone is running a $10 mail-in rebate on Slick 50 right now - that's less than half price. (I'm probably going to get another quart while that special is still going, to put on the shelf). Running the 20% mixture ratio they recommend, you don't even use the whole quart in the oil change. So I went ahead and did the AMSoil change today including the Slick 50 treatment (before I read all of your replies). I read a post here the other day of ZMax. I have no regrets. Like I say, I have always enjoyed the benefits of a good product like Slick 50, even together with today's excellent high-end state-of-the-art lubricants. There was a notable improvement in the way the engine runs after the oil change - which I attribute to the ASMoil/ Slick 50 mixture....of course it quite likely may have run better with AMSoil alone, but I just bought this bike used from a dealer, which is why I was doing the "baseline" oil change - so I didn't have a chance to talk to the previous owner, hence I do not know what oil was already in the engine. I think this looks like a case of "oil's well that ends well". :p sorry, couldn't resist

Oil additives are a band-aid fix for a problem that doesn't even exist.
    My daily driver has 187,xxx mi
    My wifes car has 220,xxx mi
    My bike has 26,xxx
    My truck has 156,xxx
    They all run top notch with no signs of engine wear.
    No additives are used in any of them. Just good quality oils changed at regular intervals.

Modern oils are quite good, especially the synthetics. 300,000+mi from a car and 100,000+ from a bike is very do-able now a days. At the average miles driven per year for most people you're talking 15-20 years of service. It's a waste of money to buy an additive of any sort with the expectation that it's going to extend that even further.

Inactive
    Modern oils are quite good, especially the synthetics. 300,000+mi from a car and 100,000+ from a bike is very do-able now a days. At the average miles driven per year for most people you're talking 15-20 years of service. It's a waste of money to buy an additive of any sort with the expectation that it's going to extend that even further.
    as usual...well said, captain. clearly vtech is not listening to us. LOL

He got it for less than half the price who cares if it works it was on sale. ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast