Thread: S3 idle question

Ok my bike has been parked for atleast 3 years . When I got it it idled real rough , the idle seems to have smoothed out a lot . And the sound of the exhaust has changed . Do they tend to idle as rough as a Harley or are they smother , mine is a 02 with FI . I'm pulling the plugs now

Plugs look ok , what should the gap be it looks a bit wide

Run some seafoam in it. I did on my x1, helped alot. As far as sound goes, most harleys have a pipe per cylinder so the sound isnt the same on ours. But the idle and the shake is pure HD

Ok , then I have a plug going bad. It's all there when I twist on it but at an idle I can hear 1 cyl cuting out . I'm going to put some Harley plugs in it and see what happens

Ive got standard copper core ngk on mine. Wanted to go iridium but was told for my application standard copper is best. Also, switch wires at the coil, maybe its going out and plugs are ok.

Clean both plugs, mark the fouled one with a sharpie and switch cylinders. If the fouling appears on the unmarked one you know its the coil. If the marked on re-fouls, its bad

I say mark it cause I would assuredly forget which was which. Lol

I put in new plugs and it runs the same , I added some Lucas inj cleaner . I'll have to wait to see if that works as it will be cold and rainy here for the next 5 days . It's probably crap caught in an injector . I have to replace the line from the tank to the filter and I might do the filter while I'm at it

You never mentioned whether or not you rode it. My x1 runs completely different cold. I thought I had a stopped injector as well once but it needed time to burn off the crap in the cylinders and I assume on the plugs. It ran on one cylinder a few times. Now its right as rain.

I put some inj cleaner in it and rode it about 100 mi and it cleared up . I still have issues with having to adjust the idle as engine and air temp changes