Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Reverse Exhaust Take 2

OK so I'm not very happy with the way the stock gutted can reverse exhaust came out. Sounds good thumping around town but if you really rip on it, its very very tinny and sounds horrible, but I love the way it looks and the guys at work like how its different then anything you see. Power was good didn't feel any loss from the race pipe.

So now its time to do the exhaust I wanted to do in the beginning.....

Here is my idea......

The only thing I can't decide on is no mufflers and use a slip in baffle like I drew which I would also make myself...... or use one muffler on the left or the right or two mufflers on both sides. What do you guys think. I bought a magnaflow glass pack to use the perforated tube and packing it was cheap at local parts store.

Other parts consist of 2- 180° j bends 2" OD on a 3" radius, a 2" 180° u bend on a 2" radius, a 2.25" chrome tip and the 2" magnaflow glass pack. I have about $100 in materials and all bends are mandrel bends from summit racing.

All parts will be mig welded using .027" E706S wire and all the pipes are aluminized. After the pipe is done and the mounts for the chin fairing are on it and I'm happy with the sound and performance I might have it poweder coated or cermacoated.

So this is where I'm at so far cause I'm still waiting on the tight u bend from summit. I cut one j bend in the center to make a 90° bend and put on a small piece of coupler to attach to the header..... the bend is right and the coupler fits nice and tight all I have to do is slice it and use the stock clamp. The next part is see how the tight u bend lays and that will determine if the rear u mount is staying or if I have to weld tabs on the pipe to mount to the bike.

Now the tricky part is going to be the mufflers..... with that pipe on it, it actually doesn't sound bad its loud but has a good sound..... but its a little raspy high up the rpms. No popping at all but there is a dead spot right off idle.... no worries ecmspy can fix that.

I slid the glass pack on and omg its quiet but sounds decent. Now granted its brand new and also about 30" long. From all the research I have done the slide in baffles for drag pipes don't perform well at all so I'm kinda steering away from that... I like the simplicity but I'm looking for performance and a certain sound. The best way I found is to make a lollipop baffle..... another good idea cause it uses a washer and is adjustable by turning the washer, but its still gonna be loud.

So do I use a slip in baffle or lollipop baffle or make my own mufflers with packing or not and do I make two for symmetry or one on the left or the right? I think if I go with the left the remainder of the pipe will give it a good hollow rumbly effect.....atleast that's what I'm hoping.....also stepping up to a 2.25" pipe will help that also after the muffler.

Let me know what you guys think. I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

Thanks Dan

I like my reverso APH made by albert666, a member here.

Does it have one or two mufflers? Any better close up pictures?

You have my attention!

I am excited to see the finished product.

:)

Well I need some opinions on the direction to head.... straight pipe? Baffles? One or two mufflers?

Here is a link to the APH website, pics inside.

http://www.aph-performance-engineeri...b_exhaust.html

Damn he kept that thing compact..... I hope I don't have to go that small..... how's it sound? Loud? How's performance?

Performance wise it made alot more low end compaired to my buell race pipe. I heard that it is because of the longer header pipe before it gets to the actual exhaust. (i really don't know, but i like the power) And for some reason it got rid of the slight stumble i had between 3500-4000 rpm. It was louder than the race pipe, which was ok but i opted for the db killer he offered for it. And i like the looks of it (pic of db killer on mine)

How much was that glasspack?

Personally I like the appearance of the stock outer shell. I'd hide it all inside that shell. 1 or two mufflers just depends on how loud you want it. I'd do two, personally, if they are straight through. You can't use a baffle without an outer casing, it won't do anything.

$25 with a discount at my local auto parts store. I like the more naked look of the pipes..... function over beauty. I think all that pipe and pieces look bad ass......

A slide in baffle should work.... all the Vance & Hines pipes use slip in baffles......

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast