Thread: XB12Scg as a first bike? second bike?

thinking about getting an XB12Scg, used.

i really like the look mainly. and the V-Twin sound.... i know its not the fastest bike out there for the price, but imo its one of the better looking. but really im not buying for the brute speed. going fast is nice, but ive gotten most of that out of my system already... (300whp vw hatchback) but from what ive read online is its pretty quick except at higher speeds. which is perfectly fine for me, i dont really need to be going over 75mph anyways lol.

i know this is sorta comparing apples to oranges...

but i like my buddies cbr600, and specs wise the xb is pretty close

weight: 600= 360lbs vs. xb=395
    HP 600=115hp vs xb=103hp
    TQ 600=48ft. lbs vs. xb=84ft. lbs
    MPG 600=42mpg(is what my buddy gets) XB=65mpg(is what the internet says)

so its 35lbs overweight, minus 12hp, but plus 36ft. lbs, so maybe the extra tq will make up for it? if not the extra MPG will

primary use will be to commute back and forth to school since bikes get great gas mileage, everything fits in my backpack, parking will be 9million percent easier, only downside is i have to carry my helmet around

the other bike i was interested in getting is a triumph speed triple. awesome looking bike but i hear their reliability was an issue, especially since the nearest dealer is about 350miles away

my experience is not much really... dirtbikes, quads, and ive driven my buddies 600 a few times. i may be picking up a used blast this weekend to drive around until i sell my vw, which will pay for the xb

Good luck with everything. Not heard "real world" reports of 65mpg. I know I can baby mine and I get around 50. But nothing makes up for the cornering...takes just a thought to lean it. Also have to mention the styling and originality. ;) Anyway, Ride Safe.

I have owned a few bikes (FZR750,YZF600r, R6, drz400sm)and have ridden a few more including a F4i, R1 GSXR750, Busa and ZX 12 and one thing they can't quantify is the fun factor of the XB. Sure the other bikes will go faster but the Torque and handling of the XB is hands down 10 times funner than going 120+ on the highway. How about driving down the road doing 30 mph and twist the throttle and feel like your sitting on a rocket taking off from a launch pad. The XB is part Pitbull and part Fright train. Look on the web site for demo rides in your area and go test ride one.
    I get around 60mpg on my Ss.

i'd be afraid to test drive one lol. thats alot of money in your hands

test ride one and you'll never want to ride another bike again.. I have been itching since last october when i took an XB12scg for a rip at the Local HD Demo Ride... as most of these guys have already pointed out... this bike is the most enjoyable to ride. I had a grin ear to ear... I actually test rode the lightning 4 times that day...

Also, I highly recommend taking the MSF safety rider's course. I took class with a lot of dirt bikers, and they all said it was well worth it, that a lot about riding street was different than riding dirt. Anyway, they said it was very helpful. It can only help you develop faster.

yeah they offer them here at the local navy base, and i hear they are great. as an air gaurd guy, i should be able to sign up for it

Yea I took the MSF class after I have been riding for a few years and I really learned a lot. Its good stuff for anyone let alone a new rider.