Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help for a new guy, please!?

I have a 2003 firebolt XB9R with about 12k miles. In the past year I have broke 3 belts! Most recent one with not even 300 miles on it. Im thinking of doing the '03-to-'04 belt drive system conversion. Does ANYONE have ANY feedback, comments or just a point in the right direction as to where to get ALL of the CORRECT parts. And is this something i could do myself, not being a mechanic? I do know some basics (oil,tire,etc) about cars, but I am new to motorcycles. I am in the Northwest Indiana area if anyone could possilby meet up with me and maybe show me how to do this when i get the parts, or just tell me some pointers. I do also have the PDF owners manual to refer to. Once again, ANY input is appreciated! thanks guys

I did the 04+ belt system on mine. I bought all my parts from a guy parting out his bike, and saved some money doing it (college takes most of my money) For the most part its pretty easy to do, as long as you have tools, handy friends and some beer:D. The hardest part for me was getting the primary drive pulley off. Those suckers are really one there! I think 250ft lbs or around there. And you need a huge socket, I cant remember what size but my friend works on tractors and had the right stuff.

TL;DR Make sure you have the right tools and some friends and your good to go!

Make sure not to flex/bend/crimp the belt, and I'm assuming it's a good name brand belt? Is there even a cheap version out there?

Flex/bend/crimp can mean an early demise.

If you replaced all, then I would look for alignment issues, IE belt wearing on a certain side, rear wheel bearings being worn, etc. Assumption is you have stands... rear first, then front.

Also look at the rear "sprocket" and check for pitting, and wear... basically ASB sells a full kit for an '03 conversion to 04+.

yeah something wrong somewhere.. belts shouldn't break that quickly even with the older belt system.

The socket for the drive pulley is 1 7/8"

Inactive
    very simple to diagnose what's going on with your bike. i have seen (Lesley) 03 XB models exceed 30K miles on OEM belt so clearly you either have an alignment problem, pulley problem, or installation fault. if the latest belt to tear shows unusual outer surface wear...outer surface being the face of the belt that engages pulley surface....you have a pulley issue. if the belt shows fraying on either inside or outside surface or both, you have an alignment problem. pulley issue usually bad pulley bearings.....alignment issue usually incorrect rear wheel installation and/or wheel bearing failure. this is assuming the bike has not been wrecked or had some sort of swingarm mod done to it.

I agree with lunaticfringe, something is very wrong if you've broke 3 belts in a years time. I'd think you could see the belt wear uneven and fraying before it breaks.

If you do burnouts then please state that so we can stop wasting our time with info help. If you don't abuse the bike then disregard this comment and have it looked at and fixed ASAP

I have over 30k miles on 3 different bikes without changing a belt. All factory.. and I rode them all very hard.. check to see if the belt is in line and that its running straight. Check to make sure it isn't too tight and stretching it too much..

I agree with Lesley agreeing with lunaticfringe, something has to be going wrong with your set up. I have an '03 with the original belt and 13k miles on it with Jo issues.

I got lucky the PO of my bike did the swap. I have receipts of almost $700 from the Harley dealer I'm just parts.....

I have a almost new 03 belt I'll sell ya for $60 shipped if your interested pm me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast