Thread: '06 cityX--bike shakes in right turns

Hey everyone. New to the site. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything similar to my issue so here goes:

I have a '06 cityX. It starts and runs great, but when I'm taking a curve to the right, turning at a 90 degree intersection, or just in general going right, the front end shakes terribly. At speed it's terrifying. It feels like the handle bar wants to lock out, and I have to physically fight with it to make it through the turn. There is no problem when turning left. I can lean that bike left like a dream.

I'm not especially experienced with the mechanics of the bike past oil changes and electrical fixes (LED turn signals be damned), but I'm assuming its going to be an issue with the bearing, right? Is this something I can fix or should I find a mechanic?

welcome to the forum, could very well be the steering head bearings, may want to also look at wheel bearings while you're at it, bearing spacer and axle also just to be on the safe side. check the front rotor for any type of damage. you can do the bearings your self, they aren't that hard if you've got the tools for it. AllBallsRacing has bearing sets, priced well compared to getting stock ones from HD. there's lot of info on the forum, go to the "General Motorcycle chat" forum and you'll find several informative threads for those new to Buell motorcycles. you can download the service manual from either the link just below the Buellxb.com header above or from buellmods.com.

I appreciate it! I have the service manual for the bike, so I'll get it on a rest and the front end taken down. Hopefully it's just one thing, not several.

Could also be one fork leg drastically different from the other. Any leaks on it? Fork bushings could be suspect as well. How's the tire look on the front? Feathered badly on just that side?

The tire is new, and the old one from a few months ago didn't have any wear differences between the sides. Haven't noticed any leaks on the forks. The front brake rotor has a very slight warp to it from the previous owner that is only noticeable when the brake is depressed more than 50 percent. HD said it was fine to drive a year ago so long as it didn't get worse. It will be replaced eventually, but I don't think it contributes to the shaking, because the shaking isn't any worse if I brake while turning.