Thread: Voltage regulater Connectors xb 12

I just got a new voltage regulator with the updated connections.my 2004 xb 12 had the old connections :( I'm not sure how to take the old wires and clap the new connectors on. Im have no wiring experience and don't want to mess anything up all I know is I have to get a crimp. Does anyone some step by step help on how to do this or possibly a video, this would be a great help.

Ps pictures would definatly help

if you haven't already, download the service manual from the link above, just below the Bullxb.com header or from buellmods.com. in Appendix B of the service manual, there's step by step instructions on how to remove/install pins and connectors. it's not very hard at all, just take your time. also if you can get your hands on a parts catalog, that will help you out as well.

I didn't know that the connector had been updated, wish I could help further

Does anyone some step by step help on how to do this
    for the old connector, but procedure is the same: http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=423

Cut the connectors off and butt splice everything. Its cheap, easy, and you never have to worry about it again

So I figured out how to switch out the connectors but now after putting everything back together with the new voltage regulator my bike won't start or even show any signs of life, any ideas?

Did you leave the battery connected while working on the regulator connectors?
    If so, then check the 30amp fuse as that could well be blown as the regulator connection goes to the battery via that fuse and any touching of bare +ve wire to frame or the -ve wire would have fizzed it.

If you did disconnect the battery are you absolutely certain that you have connected the regulator with the correct polarity?
    If you have the battery +ve going to the regulator ground then that will also blow the 30 amp fuse.
    The regulator negative / ground connection is the wire with 0 ohms to the regulator body if you aren't sure which is which.

Thanks, turns out it was the 30 amp and everything turns on correct. How do I know if I have the wires to the regulator in the correct position or need to be switched?The bike turns on and I'm reading 14.5 at the battery,should I assume my charging system worrys are over? I just wanna get on it and go for a ride but I don't want to be stuck 30 mins later

I changed my voltage regulator this last fall and yes mine was charging like yours too. I can't remember if I was
    reading the voltage before or after the regulator but rev the engine and see if the voltage goes up with the rpm.

Cut the connectors off and butt splice everything. Its cheap, easy, and you never have to worry about it again
    Future reference, never ever butt connect anything eletrical unless its a temp emergency fix, always always solder and shrink wrap.

I agree to a point but mine has been fine for 2 years now. Did use heat shrink over connectors. I just dont see the point in buying 40 bucks worth of parts and wasting all that time when you can fix it just as well for pennies in minutes.