Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S1W to XB rebuild and conversion

Some of you have seen my S1W and some of you haven't. Basically I started with a 1998 S1 White Lightning that I did some background research on and found out it was a Molten Orange bodywork, Nuclear Blue frame and wheels (but had PM wheels on it when I got it).

This is my starting point, and pics from the day I got it.

I rode it till about a year ago and decided to pull it apart and do some mods. I had always planed on doing a XB wheel conversion but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I started researching threads, mostly on the other website Badweb. I had found a couple of names that had really been the pioneers and luckly they were still frequenting the websites. So I started blowing up Purpony's PM box on here. Special thanks goes out to Marc, he help out tremendously! Goldtooth was another one that was a big help but I could never get ahold of him but his threads were spot on.

So bare with me and I will post the progress of this build. Again special thanks to Purpony, and my Brother without them this build never would have happened.

So bare with me and I will post mostly pics as the build has gone on over the last year.

First I started with the rear. Since it was going to be fairly easy. Lots of measurements, research and more emails to purpony. My brother CAD'd me out some wheel spacers to make the rear wheel bolt on with a few cuts to each side of the rear caliper bracket.

Right side

Left side(caliper bracket side)

My Pleasure! Love to help when i can. Going to be badass when its 100% finished... if thats ever possible... haha.
    Changing mine around right now....

Ha! It's never done, that's for sure!

Fast forward a little bit to show the rear wheel. It was actually pretty easy compared to the front. Those that don't have the Mad Skills like Purpony, he made his own pulley to keep the same gear ratio of 61 teeth on the rear. I used a stock XB rear pulley 65T and a Uly long frame 135T belt. The S1 has a solid frame, meaning that you either have to remove the engine or compress the left side isolator and remove the right side isolator to change the belt.

I made a homemade tool out of a piece of 3/8 all thread, couple of nuts, washers and a couple of deep well sockets.

Left side (caliper side)

Right side (pulley side)

Alright rear is basically done for the most part.

Tear the front apart and see what challenges that will lead to. I'm going for a retro mod type look. I want it to have the old S1 style looking body work while having all the new style suspension, wheels and brakes.

Any questions so far?

Nice thread Red. Glad to see you putting it together.

I found more pics of the rear caliper bracket, before and after it went to the machine shop. Disclaimer!! Don't use my measurements, every bike is different.

I ended up cutting .125 off of both sides.

Inside of bracket

Outside of caliper bracket

Nice thread Red. Glad to see you putting it together.
    Thanks!

Towards the middle of the build stuff started rolling in. I sent the plastic off to have it painted. I had some help finding the OE decals from American Torque. They are obsolete and I had my local dealer try and track some down and had no luck. So thanks to American Torque the body work was able to go back to a stock appearance.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast