Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S1W to XB rebuild and conversion

looks so good!

Thanks but looks better in person, but not bad for iPhone pics.

looks good. correct me if on wrong butI'm pretty sure it is just a s1 because without the,white frame, wheels(when pm wheels weren't ordered) and bodywork it is not a white Lightning. or s1w

A White Lightning could be be bought in any color combo. Its actually VIN specific code to identify a S1W not a color scheme. A S1W has a 4MZYS prefix and a regular S1 will have 4MZSS prefix. The only ones that got a White Lighting front and rear decals were the white bikes. The color bikes got the regular S1 decals and the Molten Orange bikes were the only ones to use this tank decal.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...23/559659.html

Next was to tackle the front end. This is where you actually have a few options of which way you want to go. Theirs basically three different ways to go. One way is to use the XB stem and and trees. This method requires a spacer between the lower tree and lower steering stem bearing. Another method is to use the the S1 trees and 03-04 forks. But the forks have to come so far up into the trees that you have to use 2-3 inch risers. This is the method I tried first but soon realized it just didnt look right to me.

Pic of the forks in the S1 trees

The forks have to come up too high into the trees and wont allow the handle bars to be bolted on. Which would be the reason for the risers.

Digging through pics I forgot about this story! When I first bought the bike it had some fugly exhaust that some had just thrown together. Like a supertrap muffer off a fourwheeler and a fairly nice header that had been ceramic coated but I wasnt sure of the brand. Searching craigslist, ebay and Buell web sites for sale ads. I found a Triple black S1W that someone was selling and at the end of the ad he said he had a spare NOS race exhaust kit that would go with the bike. So I emailed the guy and asked if he would sell the exhaust seperate. At first the answer was "NO!". Finally after talking and begging him for a month he gave in and sold me the NOS Race Exhaust Kit!

New in box!

Packages never opened

What a lucky find!

Back to the front end conversion. Next method for the front trees is using the XB upper and lower. Pressing the steering stems out of the tree sets and using the S1 stem in the XB upper and lowers. This actually requires machining of the upper and lower XB trees, two counter bore cuts. The XB stem uses a cap nut on the top of the stem and the S1 uses a bolt with a threaded interior stem. Also the S1 stem is shorter than the XB stem and this is why you have to counter bore the bottom side of the XB lower. So that the S1 stem can be pressed into the tree far enough to meet the upper. The reason for the counter bore on the top side is to make room for the bolt that screws into the top of the S1 stem. Hope that makes sense! This seems to be the easiest method and also the method Purpony used as well. When we do my brothers X1 we plan on doing a bolt on method and possibly selling it as a kit. Just depends on how much interest their is out there.

XB lower with cap nut

\

S1 Trees

Before pressing the stem out, make sure you mark your steering stem so that the steering neck lock will work again.

S1 top with the bolt in the top

Now I wish I would have taken more pics of this area of the build. But you get the idea.

Looks great! Why not have the rims match the frame is my only question. Love the old tubers think my next bike just may be a x1.

I had really thought about it and decided against it. For one reason, believe it or not I am a Chiefs fan (I know they suck but I am still a fan) and all be damn if I am going to build a Denver Broncos tribute bike! :D We are going to be doing my brothers tuber that way. His is a Nuc Blue frame X1CF. The next one that I do will have the same color wheels as the frame though. Its a 2002 Blazing Orange M2, with Volcano grey body work.

Like I said, I wish I would have taken more pics of the machining. But everything started falling together so fast I was actually starting to make progress, no time for pics, just work! The machine work came back and went together perfect the first time. So I sent everything off for powder coat. I decided to do the trees and wheels at the same time with the same color. Special Thanks to long time friend 03firebolt9r (Paul)! He took care of getting my powder coating done in Texas due to the lack of knowledge and colors in my area. That and it seem like every price I got here locally was twice the amount he could get it done for in Texas. So thanks again to 03firebolt9r for take care of that headache for me!

I was doing all my test fit and mock up with a spare set of Red wheels I had. PurPony kept calling it a Spiderman themed bike. LOL

Powder coat is back! These are the counter bored XB trees with a S1 stem.

Forks in the trees for test fit

Ran into another snag! Headlight brackets have too much of a gap to tighten up.

This will be my remedy for now. I trimmed about 1/4 inch out of each side.

Wheels are powder coated the same as the trees.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast