Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: DIY Fuel pump fix. Cheaper than replacement from HD

revisit the parts cross reference thread in the general motorcycle chat...posted other brand/part numbers for filters and pumps.

I know I am chiming in late but I just read through all of forum and found all great information. I recently just got a 03 XB9 with 7600 miles on it. The bike runs great minus couple interment hic-ups but I was going to go ahead and change the fuel filter and screen after reading through all this. Figured with only 7600 on it, the bike had to have set for some time somewhere.

My question is do you have to separate the fuel regulator to do this? I have not seen the O-rings for the regulator unless you buy the regulator. Trying to have all O-rings and filters ready, so I can pull it apart and back together.

I've looked for the o-rings and can not find them by part number, however harbor freight has a viton o-ring kit, also try true value hardware stores, ace, napa, etc... I have overhauled two fuel pumps recently, one being an '03 using the o-ring kit from harbor freight. bought the two large pump housing o-rings from newcastlehd.com. have another set awaiting the complete overhaul of the pump in my bike.

Ok. Finally started to get this done. And already a quick question, or rather, inquiry.

The manual states to disconnect the 4-pin connector going to the fuel pump. Then start the bike and let it stall. Once it does, hold the start button for 3 seconds.

When i tried this, my bike never turned over. It tried, but never succeed. Does this mean I didn't have enough fuel in the system to get the bike started, or is this an issue?

Just for ****z, I plugged it the fuel pump back in and she started right up. I disconnected the connector and she died right away.

Just curious, thanks for any insight or direction. Just wanna make sure I don't have pressurized fuel in the line.

Cheers!

2005 Buell XB12Scg

my '03 will do the same...I just disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail. the procedure is the clear the fuel line/relieve any pressure before disconnecting it from the fuel pump assy or from the fuel rail. have had very little to no fuel come from the line when disconnecting it in that manner.

Thrstrmech - Much thanks for the input. Just didn't want to go boom.

cheers!

Great write up except for one thing, TAKE THE SWING ARM BOLT OUT! (leave the oil lines on and support swing arm with bungee cords to take the strain off the oil lines) Much easier!

I tried it without doing that and realized a lesson I learned a long time ago. Short cuts usually are not short in the end. For all the effort, time and general screwing around with trying to squeeze the pump assembly out and expecially back in, with the swing arm in place, I could have easilly removed the swing arm and had a much easier time of it. I also would not have scratched up the paint squeezing the pump out. (yes I tried to protect it but failed).

2 bolts for the lower fairing, 3 bolts for the plastic countershaft cover, and the swing arm bolt itself. Probably about 8 or nine minutes to remove that junk. Now you can get a ratchet on all 4 fuel pump cover bolts and whip those out in about a minute and a half instead of turning each one about a half a turn at a time and then re-inserting the allen wrench for another half turn on the 2 inside bolts! This also allows you to clean the crud out from places you can't otherwise reach.

BuellRonin: Did you ever get it installed? Got a link to the pump you used? Any problems with it?

Did you ever get it installed? Got a link to the pump you used? Any problems with it?
    Actually, either will work. I had an issue with the fuel regular. The new O-rings were slightly bigger than the older ones (I have an older fuel pump setup) and they ended up binding and not allowing a seal. But now I have a few extra fuel pumps. :) But I have the HFP installed.

Caltric $20 Fuel Pump

Airtex $48 Fuel Pump

HFP $49 Fuel Pump

I msg another member who used the $20 one and said he had no issue as of yet. The Airtext is the only that won't come with a fuel strainer.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by BuellRonin View Post
    Actually, either will work. I had an issue with the fuel regular. The new O-rings were slightly bigger than the older ones (I have an older fuel pump setup) and they ended up binding and not allowing a seal. But now I have a few extra fuel pumps. But I have the HFP installed.

Caltric $20 Fuel Pump

Airtex $48 Fuel Pump

HFP $49 Fuel Pump

I msg another member who used the $20 one and said he had no issue as of yet. The Airtext is the only that won't come with a fuel strainer.

Cheers!
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mr...lOgaAoAQ8P8HAQ

I don't even have a Buell yet. But I used this one on my Hawk GT and it is way more reliable than the factory one.
    Without checking fuel pressure ranges and flow rates, I'd say just about any automotive fuel pump will work. They also have a similarly priced 'domestic car' version, which has an extra psi or two.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast