Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Fuel pump fix. Cheaper than replacement from HD

This is just an opinion, but those look an _awful_ lot like kalrez orings, which are chemical resistant. Once upon a time I worked at a silcone manufacturing plant, we used these a lot, along with viton orings in high temp, volatile applications.

Maybe try here?

http://www.marcorubber.com/sizingchart.htm

http://www.marcorubber.com/kalrezindustrial.htm

If you know the rough (nominal) size for the ID/OD, then you can probably match it up pretty easily. The charts go up over 18", so there's probably one in there that's the right size.

This is one of the better pics I found on a quick search, its a bit large for the application though.

50dro, I am definitely a yinzer, although living in the south for a while I also say yall now too...
    Cool! What part "y'all" from? (sorry for the thread jack but you used the shirt! ;) )

Thanks guys. The o rings I found at harbor freight said for fuel connection use they were safe. I replaced all except the large ones but they are not leaking so I'm not worried about it.

I didn't start the bike because it's not really stable. It was also almost 11pm when I finished. I'll get to it friday night, it should work(that's why I did the diagnostics to make sure it seemed like it was going to work).

BTW, I was pretty shocked with how much "gunk" or "stuff" was in the bottom of the tank and on the pump housing...

Cool!Â* What part "y'all" from?Â* (sorry for the thread jack but you used the shirt!Â* )
    South hills

Cool! I grew up in Beaver Falls but am in Cranberry Twp now...Carry on! ;) (we can chat more at the Dragon...

Actually it's starting to stress me now cause we're taking your truck to the Dragon
    BTW I did get my truck fixed wednesday night as well. So we are good to go in that fashion. Hopefully this fuel pump fix was correct. I'll ride the bike a little sunday to be sure.

a very well deserved and +1
    excellent effort and post snrusnak
    :)

Sweet, I got stickied!!!

I started it up today after wrapping up reassembling the axle, brake, etc. and it runs great. I only rode it a few miles but got it up to operating temp and it ran fine. The pump sounds normal again too. Here's a video:

http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/sn...tml?sort=3&o=0

BTW, anyone know how the fuel level light operates? There is no float...

First, awesome write up.

See the cylinder clipped in near the top of the housing body with a gray wire connected to a yellow wire with the red stripe? That's the fuel level sensor. I believe it's a resistance-type grounding sensor

I see Al has all the o-rings, filter/strainer and return filter for around $30 or so. My '08 is coming up on 25k mi and I've considered accumulating all the parts in advance so when my pump begins showing signs of failure I'll be GTG. All the in-tank pumps I've ever changed were due to clogged filters which cause the pump to work harder, overheat and cook themselves. Once the fuel level drops below the pump body there's little or nothing to cool the pump

Thanks again for the info

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast