Thread: "Beauty is Beast"

Well - It has been over a month now since I bought my 2006 Buell Lightning Long. I totally see, feel and, hear (now firsthand) what all the hype is about the Buell Lightning/Firebolt line (though I am sure the earlier ones also have all of the same charm, character - and fun factor...)

I have 5 rides (and truly tell my girlfriend my favorite bike is "the one I just rode."). I have a Bandit, SV, and two GS750s from the 80's each having their own distinct personality...

But I have to admit riding this bike makes me think of a beast of sorts in terms of the way it roars, and propels you with such a unique delivery of torque that even my Bandit 1250 (though it makes 78lbs of torque at 3700 rpms) cannot match. This bike is everything my other bikes are not... It's a total extrovert of a bike, commanding, and actually demanding attention. I totally now see why people here noted to newbies --- you better get used to people looking at you.. I have thoroughly enjoyed this bike and have already managed to get in some good rides in (even though the weather in Maine truly has not been that great). This bike is so beautiful to look at yet while riding it I know behind its beauty it is also a beast (and one that can never truly be tamed). I am hooked :)

It has been over a month now since I bought my 2006 Buell Lightning Long.Â* I totally see, feel and, hear (now firsthand) what all the hype is about
    I have the exact same XB as you, and I have also come off much more powerful sportbikes. Like you, I consider the XB12Ss to be the pinnacle of XB development. You simply can't get the same experience on ANY other motorcycle!

Nice that you have the same bike... It is such a cool blend of technology mixed with what a lot of magazines refer to as an archaic engine - made right... If you get a chance --- MotorcycleNews.com did a nice write up on our bike - the 2006 Lightning Long (right when it came out) it did a HEAD to HEAD comparison against another fun/quirky bike --- The 2006 Triumph Speed Triple (which per the article had just been introduced in 05)... I guess 06 was the first year of the addition of the "Long." Any way really good article and just the fact that this bike was compared to what many argue is one of the best bikes ever built (in the Speed Triple) is impressive, but I am happy to say the Buell held its own!!!

Quote from the Motorcycle News Article in that Long v. Speed Triple Comparison: "Buell’s 1203cc V-twin
    makes a great wave of torque that propels the XB12Ss forward like a surfer at Waimea Bay; liquid smooth, irresistible and intoxicating. Although the rush ebbs above 4000 rpm, in canyon riding situations, the XB12Ss easily holds its own against the Speed Triple.

I am happy to say the Buell held its own!!!
    Well, kind of...I have read that article, and I have been on a Speed Triple a couple of times. One of my regular riding crew also has an ST3. The Triumph has an INCREDIBLE motor. A beautiful blend of torque and horsepower which combines the best of a twin and an I-4. Once speeds hit >180kmh (110mph), the Triumph simply walks away from the XB.

n canyon riding situations, the XB12Ss easily holds its own against the Speed Triple
    In "canyon situations", the XB will hold its own against just about anything!

And truthly for me it is really more about what it FEELS like as it delivers its spread of power and torque ... The Speed and Street Triples have all of the attributes you suggested (never have ridden either) but have read so many reviews on them and what great sound they make to boot...

But an XB with a long stroke engine 2 valve per cylinder ohv pushrod engine even being compared to a short stroke 4 valve per cylinder, liquid cooled engine alone is an ACCOMPLISHMENT...

I am hooked

The Speed and Street Triples have all of the attributes you suggested
    The "Street" Triple is a step down I would suggest. More comparable to a middle-weight sport bike. Simply no comparison to an XB in terms of torque. The 675 needs to be wrung out to access its power whereas the 1050 has gobs of torque & horsepower EVERYWHERE. Its only barrier to higher speeds is that it's naked.

The "Street" Triple is a step down I would suggest.
    Agreed --- for sure a middle-weight more in line with the SV650, ER-6N and now that new street fighter (stripped down version of the MV Augusta F3 - the Brutale 675. I mentioned the Street Triple more due to that entire "line" by Triumph is top notch ... I think as long as you are a motorcyclist - its a "W."