Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breather Re-route question?

I have been reading up on doing the breather re-route mod and have a couple of questions, first question what purpose does the little filter serve? Second question, would it be a bad idea to just connect the two hoses with a "T" and run them out one hose? It seems like they are so low pressure that it would not hurt anything; and while we are talking about making it easier would it work to just pull the factory hoses out of the air box and plug the holes? Sorry if these are dumb questions or if they've been answered already, I realize this is highly likely considering how many times this mod has been discussed.

Running to a t and then one hose is fine. And i recently got rid of my filter and just left the hose open that terminates behind the foot peg. This is better than the previous way i had it so far.

If you have a closed drop leg or catch can you need the filter so it can still vent. However it works fine open to atmosphere all the time. And then you never have to touch it.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm new to all this so I wanted to check, no offense to anyone running the filters but they just look awful to me, but I guess that is subjective. Is the hose 3/8 or 5/8? I have read both, I'm leaning towards 3/8 but I'm not sure

Inactive
    sir: the hose to use is 3/8th. filter such as emgo brand crankscase purge filter is inexpensive and assures nothing back-feeds into the line. but is your choice. just be sure to do the following during your re-route:
    1-plug the 2 airbox holes you will have when re-routing. plugs available at any auto parts store. i like the flat plastic push-in style often used for body and trim applications
    2-make sure rocker box hose fittings are securely pushed back into their grommets before buttoning up top of bike
    3-your vent line must be free of kinks and abrubpt bends and away from any hot parts such as cooling fins or exhaust pieces
    4-the "catch-can" thing IMO waste of time unless you have high-mileage bike with questionable valve guides/valve seals/ring sealing issues causing blow-by. if so then use one.

It cant back feed into the engine. There is a reed valve that only allows positive pressure to escape the crankcase

To plug the holes in the airbox I simply used a short section of hose and fed each end into each hole from the bottom (insert joke here). Plugs would work too I suppose

Inactive
    It cant back feed into the engine.
    i agree kona but what i was trying say was that something like an inexpensive little emgo filter prevents moisture, dirt, road debris and high pressure washer water from feeding back into and thru the line......though the probability of that happening is miniscule.

I recently got rid of my filter/catch-can also. Just vent to the ground.

I recently got rid of my filter/catch-can also. Just vent to the ground

Me too... did it yesterday as a matter of fact. I kept forgetting to drain the catch can and the filter seemed like an eyesore.

I have mine vented to the ground but I seem to get a lot of moisture out of it all the time..... kinda of a oily residue

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys, I'm trying to prepare my bike for a 1200 mile ride I have coming up, I figured I might as well do this while I'm at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast