Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baker 6OD

first post here after hours of reading. i was referred here by a guy at a food stand at phx bike week 2013 that had a blue buell parked outside his food shack. i noticed his pipe had dual exits and thats what started the convo about exhaust and this place. i have a stock 04 xb12r. i like riding the bike just fine as it is, but i was wondering if anyone has done a 6 speed conversion. i looked through the lit i could find on the baker site and it seems that i dont know enough about HD models to keep up with the options. there must be a case change after 03 as what i read states that the gears will fit through an 03 sportster. reason i ask is because i was walking through the bike junk yard in town and think i found a sporty with a baker plate on the side of it. im not a 100% though as i didnt know what it was till i got home and looked it up. ive had my bike since day one with one mile and never thought to add to it or change anything. any thoughts on this subject? ive been through all thread titles in the stickies and the search seems to elude me slightly. thanks for all i have learned on exhaust options and opinions so far. this will be quite the resource

$uperJoe

Cant do it on the xb bikes. But it should work on the older tuber models, which I happen to have now. Feel free to pull the transmission and send it my way. They got rid of the trap door inside the primary so you have to split the case to change the trans. This also means you cant fit a different trap door to allow for the 6th gear. Maybe it could be done with custom machining to the case but I dont think its worth all of that.

I completely agree it could use a 6th gear. I think everyone here feels that way.

I think you can only do this on the 03 xb9s because they still have the trap door, right?

None of the xb have the trap door (except the xb rr) even though I think the 2003 sportster still did have one.

So why can't it be done? A door could be made easily....

Oh yea i could hammer this out in an afternoon in the garage. Im not sure what trap door you are thinking of but I think you should search a little more. The 6spd kit comes with a different trap door but the case is not machine to accept it. Which is why i said you would have to machine the case in my earlier post and why you have to split the case to do any transmission work.

VS

Ah I see now.... it could still be done..... with the right equipment

Can you use a case off an older bike? Or does that cause other issues? I'd LOVE to have a 6 speed. If there's any possibility of having it then during a rebuild would be a good time.

yea sure it will bolt right in, go for it.

Ah I see now.... it could still be done..... with the right equipment
    confessions from a hopeless optimist

yea sure it will bolt right in, go for it.
    Are you being a smart ass? Or will it really work? I don't see why someone would go through the trouble of machining a trap door in a newer case when you could just swap it for an older case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast