Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: belt too tight!!!!!!!!!!

idk whats going on i put it all back to spec its a 2003 buell firebolt xb9r. i just did a ton of work to her(new pulley, new belt, new plastics and paint, and new exhaust an tune) I've done all this now i am afraid to ride it because i barely have a 1/2 inch of play in the belt i need a whole inch more and ive checked everything i can think of. any ideas on what it could be will be greatly appreciated!!

Drive belt?

Mine is extremely tight as well, I just replaced it. I have no issues while riding though....supposedly normal...

I've got a chain, but it seems as thou this topic comes up quite often when a belt is replaced. Always very tight when first installed.

Yea, it seems as though the belts need to be broken in, they seem unnaturally tight when you first put them on.

My new belt has been on for a few hundred miles(couple months) and it is still very tight but it did loosen up slightly. First time putting it on I just barely was able to slip it on the pulley(didn't remove the tensioner). Now I took the wheel off last weekend to fix the fuel pump and I was able to get the belt on a little easier. So it obviously loosened up slightly.

they say there's supposed to be an inch plus oof slack in the belt im just worried because ive already had a fe belts break and i havent even hit 19k the first lasted to 16k and the second lasted to 18,600 due to the pulley going to hell for some reason. now i have new belt and pulley and i dont wanna drp $152.50 again if i can avoid it.

where do you get that info from? I never saw anything about 1" of play.

every harley and buell guy ive ever talked to man. im pretty sure its in the manual too? ill double check on that but im almost positive its in the manual

my damn wifi at work wont let me review the service manual

You'll be fine, its going to be tight for awhile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast