Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction From Nova Scotia

Hello!
    After many hours of reading on this site, I sucked it up and bought myself a real motorycle! a 2003 Buell XB9R Firebolt!

A bit of history about me as far as biking goes: I got everything in the wrong order last year - first the gear, then the motorcycle, then my license. My first motorcycle last year being a cool ass 1983 Yamaha XS400 with some custom goodies on it.

I was going to ride it this year as well, but then found what I wanted, a fuel injected V-Twin! Without knowing anything about Buell, I immediately started doing my research, and fell in love with the uniqueness and sound of these bikes.

I test drove it in approx -10 deg Celsius down the street and back, made an offer, stored it for a few months, and just started riding on it a few weeks ago. HUGE learning curve from my previous XS400, with no experience on a sports bike.

Here are some crap photos I just took, and I thought I had better share them even though they are lesser than sub par photos:

The only mods that I know this bike have are Jardine Alum Exhaust, Integrated tail / fender eliminator. I did not even get a chance to pull the air box off to see if it has a high flow air filter or not! It also only has 11,000 kms.

Already have the shopping list completed, just need to order now:
    From E-Bay - some LED indicators for front and rear (I know that most people go for sleek...but these seem like a decent combo of style and safety) let me know if you think I should screw the safety part and just get some clear indicators for the front and rear.
    Ebay blinkers front
    Ebay blinkers rear
    As well as some bar end mirrors from Ebay, likely the ones that are oberon-like knock offs.

From ASB (learned that acronym from you fine folks!) I will be getting the larger right hand scoop to match the left, quick release seat pins, mirror block off plates (unless someone has a good looking alternative), as well as some general maintenance items.

PS anyone with a saddlebag bracket to fit this bikem I would gladly pay for it! I have the Buell saddlebags, no bracket!

Once I get all the new gear and install it, new pics will come!

Thank you for all your info and help in advance, seem like a bunch of great people on here!
    As a game, guess how much I paid for this bike to help feed my "good deal ego" and to let you folks know good deals still come along once in awhile! I will reveal the mystery price in the near future.

Welcome aboard...looks like it's still winter there...YUK!

Welcome aboard. If you find that saddlebag bracket I'd like to see pictures so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.
    I found some LED lights that i could incorporate into the stock signal lights. Noe I have tail, stop and signal in each signal light as well as the taillight.

Fox - starting to warm up here, but still chilly! when I left for work this morning on the Buell, it was -3 C to -4 C....too cold to be on the bike, but I could not resist since it was sunny!

R.O.B - sounds like something unique! I never thought of something like that, but unfortunately some stock pieces were not included with my purchase (the guy was moving).. As far as the bracket goes, I will let you know. If I cannot find one, I know a welder here who will likely fashion something up for me, and if so, I can give some rough dimensions.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the awesome bike. Safe journeys-

Do you have an XB9 or XB12R? I got an '09 last year, with less than 8,000 kms. on it. They're awesome machines
    It's my first bike in 25 years, the first thing I did was to take an experienced riders course. Compared to my old '82 Katana, these are dream bikes. I don't think I'll be outrunning many rice rockets, but it's great for an old geriatric like me.file:/Buell%20XB12R/Bike.jpg

XB9. Yeah, it is not a high revving ricer, but gotta love the looks and sound of these beasts - truly unique!

My whole premise on enjoying the road is not for speed anyhow, I enjoy the feeling of getting up to speed, rather than trying to go as fast as possible anyhow, so torque is my friend! Congrats on the '09, I wish I could have gotten a newer version, but money speaks volumes in situations such as mine, 2nd year riding with this Buell being my 2nd bike. I took the riding course last year to obtain my license so I could prevent bad habits and accidents, definitely worth the time and money! I will likely take an advanced course once I get some riding time under my belt. cheers!

Inactive
    what part of NS, son? i have a few friends up there and have to say that IMO the cabot trail is the most beautiful motorcycle road i've ever ridden in my life. nice firebolt by the way. i have exactly the same model in my little stable.

Lunatic - I live just 25 mins outside of Halifax, in Elmsdale. The Cabot Trail is absolutely phenomenal. I have not been on it in quite some time, but would be absolutely fantastic on a bike! There is actually another ride on the other side of the province that is coined as the "mini Cabot Trail" on the northwestern side of Nova Scotia closest to New Brunswick. You essentially ride all along the Bay of Fundy; never driven it myself ever, but am planning to this summer!

Good to see someone else sporting the white and orange...dunno if it is a very popular color scheme or not, but it is actually one of my personal favs (no bias at all)

other notable mods I will be performing - removing the warning stickers and at the very least upper belt guard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast