Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTH did I do?

should I just go ahead and dismantle the carb and clean it?
    good luck finding the carb

I'm thinking water would most likely be the culprit. The only thing that seriously concerns me is te smoke coming out of the airbox, which is hopefully just water vapor.

good luck finding the carb
    Yeah, I'm a dunce. I meant the throttle body but had mentioned using carb cleaner so the word was stuck in my head. But I'm a novice when it comes to wrenching, no doubt about that.

Talking to some others who are more skilled than me, they suspect that the smoke from the air intake was just unburned fuel from when it backfired in the throttlebody. They recommended spraying some throttle body cleaner (is that the smae as carb cleaner?) inside and letting it evaporate just to be sure.

I've also found threads where people have similiar symptoms stemming from a cracked ECM from the seat being on it and water getting inside. So I'm going to check that too. If none of that works, I'll be getting a cable and downloading ECMspy to try a TPS reset. After that, the stealership is my final option.

I checked the new oil level, the level was fine but it was very milky - so somehow moisture got in there too. Going to drain, flush with some cheap oil and change again.

Pulled the spark plugs, the nut was rusted but the gap was fine other than a little blackened on both. Changing those out as well, but first I'll give it a couple turns to clear them out if necessary.

Finally, going to dump some Heet in the gas tank and see if that helps.

ECM appears intact but I'm going to pull it off and look at the underside as well. I'm not sure how to test the TPS to see if it's working correctly without taking it to the shop.

I really don't know what I'm doing, just chasing down everything that 'could' be wrong.

New spark plugs, flushed the oil, same problem, sputters, pops, back fires in the throttle body. If I give it a lot of gas I can keep it going, if I just roll on the throttle as if I were riding, it dies. TPS?

Muffler control servo is definitely shot. It wasn't moving the way I had seen before so I opened it up the the plastic is broke. Good times, but not sure if that's the 'source' of my problems.

If you need a new muffler servo I can send you mine.

If you need a new muffler servo I can send you mine.
    I'll take it.

Cost the shipping costs and I will throw it in the mail today for you.
    Brett

Made a donation for ECMspy, just have to get the cable and see what else I can break.

Drained the gas today to rule out bad gas. New gas in it, still no joy. It sputters and pops in the throttle body. I can hold the throttle at one spot and it will rev up on its own, like it's getting more gas when I'm not telling it to get more gas. Is this more and more indicative of a bad TPS or just a need for a TPS reset?

No joy. I did a TPS reset per the manual and Dave's videos. Still sputters and dies. Then it stopped starting all together. The starter clicks but it won't catch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast