Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTH did I do?

Faulty ground cause this? Tighten up all wires. Worth a shot.

Check & tighten the battery terminals. Do a load test on the battery, I believe output when running should be north of 12.4 vdc?

"06 XB12X, 9500 mi, breather mod"

you state breather mod? what do you mean you installed a catch can? cut holes on your intake box?
    anyhow undo your mod and see what happens

I let it sit on the tender overnight and it starts again, must have just drained it with it on for the TPS reset and multiple start attempts. Still won't idle, sputters and backfires in the throttle body.

I have the CIA air box cover, holes in the air box, and a catch can - all installed about 3000 miles ago with no problems until now.

Could bad engine timing be the cause of my problems?

I let it sit on the tender overnight and it starts again, must have just drained it with it on for the TPS reset and multiple start attempts.Â* Still won't idle, sputters and backfires in the throttle body.
    That is not a fix for a bad ground... you should still look for a bad ground. LIsten to sparky-

Check & tighten the battery terminals. Do a load test on the battery, I believe output when running should be north of 12.4 vdc?

look for a bad ground
    Yep. Totally unrelated but I lost all my lights once... turns, cluster, headlights, when all 4 ground terminals broke at the ground screw under the lower triple. Check ALL your grounds

I hear what you're saying - do you think a faulty ground would cause all the other problems I'm having (no idle, backfire in the throttle body, etc)?

If the ecm is not getting the proper voltage then the bike will run horrible. Not enough power to properly measure sensors, control fuel injectors etc. So battery troubles can affect the engine.

I would definitely test the battery and charging system. Do a load test on the battery with key off. Run the bike and do a load test with the bike running. You may have a bad battery, bad ground, wire, connection, etc. Or bad component of the charging system.

Thanks. I'll start checking everything out tonight when I get home. Luckily I just had the fly screen off and I checked those wires, they're good, so that leaves the rest of the bike to check out.

I do remember a little gouge in the rear spark plug cable coming off the coil where it looked like it had been rubbing through. Hmmm...

I can't do the load test with the bike running on account of I can't get it to run.

I went out and checked all the wires and grounds. I couldn't find anything obvious, nothing looks corroded or cracked other than the spark plug cable, but it wasn't worn through the sheath. The batter tested just shy of 12V after sitting on the tender.

I fired it up and got it warmed up by holding the throttle, it popped and backfired like a sonofabitch, I did that for about five minutes then let go - and it kept running. It held the idle at 1000 rpms for a few minutes, then spiked up to 2000 rpms and sat there for a few minutes, then sputted and died.

It started right up again so I figured what the hell and took it around the block a couple times. It was fairly smooth in the lower rpms for a while but any time I goosed it the engine would lag and start popping again and any time I came to a stop I kept on the throttle a bit to keep it from dying on me.

Improvement, I guess, but I have no idea why since I didn't really do anything to it. Still not reliable. I have an appointment at the mechanic this weekend, so I still have time to troubleshoot and cancel if we figure it out.

Thanks again for everybody who's taken a moment to give me advice and ideas to chase down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast