Thread: Tranny inspection cover gasket question

I am in the midst of changing the oil and tranny fluid in my 05 xb12r and the inspection cover gasket is stuck solid to the tranny case. I am going to have to destroy it to get it off. Have any of you used gasket maker instead of a new gasket? I've put together countless rear differentials using it but I have never used it on a bike. Thoughts?

I wouldn't, take a razor blade and flick the gasket off, they are reusable, metal cored, just be careful and put the edge of the blade under the gaket and twist gently, it should just pop loose

I wouldn't, take a razor blade and flick the gasket off, they are reusable, metal cored, just be careful and put the edge of the blade under the gaket and twist gently, it should just pop loose
    i tried that first. Then went to a gasket scraper, then to a flat headed screw driver. I ended up having to jam the screw driver through the center of it to yank it off. It was seriously stuck. I may see if my local dealer has one in stock and use the gasket maker as a temp fix.

Couldn't you just put the inspection cover back on without messing with the gasket that is stuck? I'm assuming it's stuck in one piece on the primary cover. Theres no pressure in there.

There is no pressure but fluid still gets to the gasket as it was wet with oil. I assume it would leak out without a gasket.

I meant leave the gasket alone, stuck on the primary cover. But now I see its to late.
    Room Temperature Vulcanizing sealant should be ok.:D

Yes it is too late :) I used some "right stuff" gasket maker. I will get a new gasket when I head up to get my new tires put on.

When you are inspecting for trannys make sure reach down and feel for giggle berries. If there there its a tranny or just look for the adam's apple. Opps wrong tranny. Sorry I could not help myself.