Thread: inverted fork rebuild??

ive have been searching this forum for a DIY on a fork rebuild for my 04 xb12R. i have found some very helpful videos by Dave, but not what i was looking for. does anyone have an instruction as to what i should expect and maybe a list of parts i should collect before i tear them down, as to reduce down time.

i have oils coming out of the front right side and dripping down the fork and dripping off where the axle goes and it splashes on the lower faring in front of the exhaust. when the bike was new this happened so we took it in on warranty and they fixed it, but its doing it again. maybe i need a better seal or oring kit. not really sure. im very mechanical, just never been in a fork before so im looking for some pointers before i start. like "watch out when you take of the second nut as the spring will shoot it all the way across the shop to never be found again" or those helpful things that experience will only teach. also gonna consult my manuals in the mean time.

Inactive
    joe: as with anything else in life they're fairly straight-forward if you have someone walk you thru it or assist you. you'll need 1 pint per fork of quality fork oil like bel-ray with seal swell. i prefer 7.5 wt but think manual calls for 10wt. depending on your mileage you should also replace the inner and outer slider bushings along with the seals. it always seems to be the right seal that leaks first. i attribute it to brake dust on that side and not the left side. you can also consider removing the entire 2 fork assemblies yourself and taking them along with the bushings and seals to local shop that can do them for you. OR send me email if you decide to do it yourself and i'll walk you thru it. you can use store-bought seal driver, handbuilt seal driver made out of pvc pipe, or punch and hammer if you have patience and some dexterity. and on the seals the moulded in writing on the seals goes towards atmosphere. hope that helps. email: scootertrash196@yahoo.com

well that video pretty much sums it up. exactly what i was looking for. thanks for the replies.