Thread: my bolt has a sixth sense

so i was going to ride my 12r to work last Monday, but she didn't want to idle for ****. thought letting her warm up before I left was take care of the problem. she still wasn't sounding right. but like a mornon I still tried to take off on her. she basicly told me no and died in the driveway. the bike didn't want to start up, but did. it sound off like I was only firing off one cylinder. so I ended up taking my sister in laws mini van because my truck had a flat and didn't have time to change it. once I got home from work, the bike fired right up and sounded like crap. I tried to take her around the block and barely made it home. I figured it was moisture in the plug wire due to the heavy dew that morning or a fouled plug. when I went to pull the plug wire off the rear plug, the wire was loose on the coil. so I inspected the plug wire and noticed some rust on the coil side of the wire. ended up pulling the coil out as well. if one end is rusty how bad it the other. I sprayed some pb I the wire and the coil to clean it up. well the rust fell out of the plug wire. that rust was the little clip the helps keep the wire on the coil, so there was my problem. that and the cut in the plug wire. I still pulled the plugs and yep they were fouled. its strange how the bike knew some thing was wrong and didn't let me take her to work. I believe if I did, I would be towing her home and missed work.

Hmmm...things do work in mysterious ways sometimes. Good thing you listened to her (your Bolt - what she was telling you). ;)

Inactive
    nice diagnosis chief and i commend you for not playing "throttle mechanic" with your buell to attempt the repair. a "throttle mechanic" is someone such as my neighbor who reasons that if his car or truck or bike or chainsaw is running improperly, repeatedly revving it approx. 10% above red-line for 20 minutes or so will repair the problem.

Its better to back off if somthing is a miss than just saying hell with it and keep going. And it will save you in the long run.

well after waiting a week to get plug wires and plugs, she is back up and running. she was wanting to run like there was no tomorrow.