Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil light won't go out

I have an issue with unusual noise as well. It sounds like components on the top have of the motor, maybe rocker box or push-rods, hard to tell, the sound is proportional to rpm. I recently took off my primary cover and gear/oil pump to have them powder coated and the headers to be ceramic coated. in the process of taking of the oil pump, my rear exhaust cam fell out. I had to take off the rear cylinder rocker box in order to relieve pressure on the hydraulic lifter to re-seat the cam. I aligned the cam to its marking on the other, rotated the engine a few cycles/rechecked to insure alignment was good. Believe it is. replaced all of the gaskets, re-installed rocker box, strapped the bike back together. started it up, and immediately heard an unfamiliar mechanical noise. almost like a clicking. Bike idles fine, no check engine light, however the oil light remains on. So I think there is a lack of oil pressure(px) and therefor no oil is lubricating the rather dry engine components. I remove the oil pump cover and inspect, everything looks kosher. Nice clean oil is coming in. Clean oil on the outside of the filter. Dirty old oil on the inside of the filter(Oil filter had only 200 miles on it). Intent was to run it for a hundred or so then do a full oil change. I check the oil px sensor, seams good. disconnect the oil line to the the oil cooler and start the bike up for a few seconds....no oil comes out. go farther up the chain. remove oil filter, and run another few seconds...no oil pressure going to the filter...checked the bypass valve...seems good, but not sure if it is stuck open and sending everything back....I am at a loss. With the dipstick removed the oil tank seams overfilled, oil comes seeping out. I drained the thing during the project and added the 2.5 after i finished...Any ideas? can the primary chain affect this situation?

Um..... Didn't put the oil pump gear on back'erds didja??...

On a more serious note man... Be very careful running that motor... If you KNOW you don't have oil pressure =/... I'd hate to see a post about a blown motor...

So rechecked the bypass valve seems to be stuck in the open position...removed it.. to clean/inspect. this returns oil to the feed gerotor, wondering if this would prevent oil pressure from building in the system...

If the bypass is stuck open it still allows oil to flow in the direction it's supposed to.. It just bypasses the filter in the event that it collapses or clogs up... I don't see that causing a complete loss of pressure...

... Well ****... I'm really scratching my head on this one man... =/ I was just going off of what I had learned and had to deal with when my oil pump went out on my jeep... This one doesn't seem to work anything similar... Sorry for the slightly retarded post (in hindsight)...

From what I read in the manual, if the bypass is stuck open it would prevent the system from building pressure. The fluid is going to take the path of least resistance, which is going to be through the bypass and back into the pump.

So the last link you posted would indicate that correcting the stuck bypass valve would correct the issue. Did that do the trick?

As for your question about the primary chain, it can make a noise, but it shouldn't effect the oil pumping. Also, it would most likely happen in acceleration. It's easy enough to check though, just pull the panel off and stick your finger in. (not while it's running!!!)

It sounds like it's pumping oil out, but not pulling it in. That would explain the oil res filling. This sounds like the oil pump is operating backwards. Hopefully it's the bypass valve.

An update, albeit late because I have been busy riding the hell out of the bike! turns out it was the bypass, it was becoming stuck, used a bore brush/WD40 and cleaned it until I was happy with it, oil flows now, lights out...running good...

Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast