Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 04 XB12R cold idle issues

Hi Chaps,

What the issue is: will not idle high enough whilst cold to prevent stalling. When at operating temp (140C) it idles fine, with a little hunting. Rides absolutely OK when hot.

What I've done to it: TPS reset, AFV reset at full temp, reflashed the ROM to Default 04 Race. Pulled both plugs, look fine, cleaned and regapped anyway. Its on fresh fuel. I checked timing pre-winter so that should be fine too.

Whats changed from stock: Race flash on stock ROM (worked superbly before the cold set in). K&N air filter. Breather mod. Header wrap. Remus stainless exhaust.

If need be I could take a video of ECM Spy whilst the bike is cold so you can see the values etc.

Any and all help is appreciated. I wanna get my baby back on the road!

Phil

Mine 9er has been doing this too lately ... I just have an exhaust, breather reroute and header wrap .... I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread for a solution ... I've just been standing next to it recranking it like 5 times every morning when I'm waiting for it to warm up before I ride to work ...

have you checked the spark plug wires? mine was doing the same thing this winter. but last week it wouldnt idle for **** and fell on its face. when i went to change plugs, thinking they were fouled, found that the rear cyilinder plug wire was loose and rusty. it just a thought. moisture can get in to the darnest places.

Good idea... I also like to use dielectric grease in my plug wires when I change em out... Keeps the rust and moisture out... Just been too busy with my rebuild/upgrade that I didn't even look at em... Figured it was probably a tuning issue... Just gotta remind myself to start off small when troubleshooting I guess...

Thanks for the ideas so far.

When I pulled the plugs I also checked the fit of the HT leads. The leads were replaced late last Summer so they should be good. I guess I could pull the cables and check both ends.

Feel free to supply more ideas in the meantime :)

Cheers

Phil

what are you setting your afv at?

what are you setting your afv at?
    100% when at 140C operational temp and 100% enrichment.

I was having same prob , did tps reset then went to afv changed it to 110 started bike let it idle till it went from open loop to closed loop ,idle went to 1500 then set idle to 5.1%and took for ride. Now starts great at cold starts and runs even better don't know if that will help you but it worked for me. Afv will reset it's self after you ride it just

Still digging into and through the world's largest ECMspy thread and learning the ropes before I dig into my ECM ... I just got an ECMspy cable and downloaded ECMspy/Megalog to get started ... But when I'm literally doing brain surgery on a bike, I don't wanna make any mistakes ... I'll be checking my plug wires, plugs, and doing the basic ECM tune-up **** ASAP...

Negative: the best advice I can offer you is to back up your current ROM, back up the maps as well in case, and back them up again somewhere safe! Also don't flash from stock to race if you ever want to go back to stock, as its a one-way street.

rchuff: hmm thanks, I will go try that now. I am assuming you set afv to 110 from cold so I will do that. I will report back the results :)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast