Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain conversion

Looking to do a chain conversion on my xb 9...any advice on where to find a kit?

EBR has kits.
    Just curious why you want the conversion though? More maintenance, messier, noisier, and increased driveline jerk.
    Unless you are planning major engine mods that will be delivering more power than the belt can handle, I can think of many other mods that will yield much better performance for the same money.

Do a search and it'll pop up. There is a good thread that's has part numbers and how too

Edit here you go
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...in-conversions

True it is noisy and requires maintenance but the driveline jerk is non existent. The ability to drop your rpm down for highway speed is a great plus. That was my reasoning for converting. Once you switch, the parts are a lot cheaper to replace than a belt. plus you will have to wait several weeks to get a belt and good luck getting it from an HD dealer. I've been running the same chain for 2yrs with no issues and very little adjustment but I run a 530 chain for better strength against stretch.

I actually bought a bareknucklechopper frame and switching over to chain is the ticket. First reason: belt is 2" too short with wheel slid as far forward as it can go, and a new belt isn't cheap anyway ...2nd reason: swing arm a little too narrow for the rear pulley and front pulley to line up with hitting the frame...and lastly: the belt tensioner will not work at all...I'll post a few pics of my progress so far

I actually bought a bareknucklechopper frame
    Well, I guess that answers my question then! If you are going to be on a rigid frame chopper, a little extra noise & driveline harshness from the chain is barely even going to be noticeable!

To augment wrnglrx's post, I would agree that running a chain conversion requires periodic maintenance, but it's minimal. I just check the chain whenever it's time to wash the bike. At the end of riding season, I remove the chain and give it a good cleaning. No big deal. I run a 530 chain, so stretching isn't much of a factor and decent O-ring chain technology makes them last much longer these days. To those who complain about having to clean chain lube that's flung everywhere, which is the most common complaint I hear - Chains aren't supposed to be drenched in lube. Applied correctly, it hardly requires cleanup. I never experience the "driveline jerk", and I couldn't care less if anyone else is offended by the sound of the chain. Doesn't bother me.

The occasional maintenance is more than offset in the peace of mind and confidence knowing that I'll never be stranded in the middle of nowhere due to a broken belt - and at the mercy of a HD dealership who'll likely say they have to special order a belt with a week's wait time or tell me they don't work on Buells at all.

I never recommend the chain conversion to anyone. It's a personal thing. That said, I don't question anyone's decision to stay with a belt. I understand. I get it. I'd love to run a belt due to it's simplicity, but I have absolutely zero love for HD or confidence in their ability or willingness to support me any longer as a Buell owner should I get stuck somewhere. The simple ability to modify the final driveline ratio is just icing on the cake.

Ideal for everyone? Certainly not. It has caveats, but it has benefits as well. It just depends on your priorities and expectations.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking chain-drives at all.
    Just saying that I currently have 1 belt drive, 1 shaft drive, and 2 chain drive bikes in the garage and the belt is my favorite!:)

I run a chain and if I had the parts laying around, I'd go back to a belt. No matter how much I clean the chain, I can't keep the fine splatter off the wheels. Pain in the ass really.

I like the looks, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast