Thread: 09 xb 12cg erratic idle and loss of power

New to the form and only had the bike for 6 months. I live in New England and just rode the bike today for the first time above 70 degrees for the season.. Today the bike had a rolling idle and then stalled out 2 times, it started back up no problem and I then noticed when getting on the bike it seemed to have a flat spot from 3k-4500k when going through the gears....Something i have not seen, or felt before. The bike has 3100 miles on it, has an aftermarket exhaust and a K and N with a stock program. I have put 800 miles on it with no problem other than today...Any suggestions??

Try this first. TPS reset (throttle position sensor)

Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells
    Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells does not require external Software to perform a TPS reset, but
    DirectLink can be used to confirm that it is set correctly. The 08+ Buells are equipped with Idle
    Air Control logic, and the idle air and speed is under ECM control. The fully closed butterfly
    position is set by a stop that is cast into the throttle body, and there is no external throttle position
    stop screw.
    To reset an 08+ Buell, do the following:
    1. Turn on the key.
    2. Set the kill switch to the run position.
    3. Don’t start the engine. Rotate the throttle from fully closed (gently forced closed) to fully
    open (gently held open), and then back again to closed (gently forced closed).
    4. Repeat 3 times. Hold each position (fully open, fully closed) for 1 full second.
    5. Turn the key off and on.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly!

Had my first day above 90deg F today.

She (08' XB12S) has been starting and running like a champ until this afternoon when I started her up to leave the office and head home. Complete stuttering and Blah Blah Blah trying to die deal idling till I got on the road etc.

I live at 4900' so when it starts getting really warm, the density altitude sky rockets and the ECM has a difficult time adjusting from when I parked her this morning at 68degF and then trying to start her seven hours later at 96F.

TPS Reset did the trick and normally maintains the atmospheric setting for the Summer.

Will repeat the same in the Fall when temps drop.

@rpbuell

4900' you live in the mountain west?

Im in park city, utah myself (7000')

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YUP!

North of Bishop, CA

IAC ?