Thread: Buyers guide?

Howdy all I'm new on here, while not new to two wheeled motor vehicles I am new to larger displacement road going bikes. I've been perusing craigslist and the for sale section of this site for about a year now looking for a bike I want. Every now and then I'll go look at one but I'm never pleased with the condition or the price. For instance I went and looked at an 03 XB9s the other day. Turns out it had been down on both sides (The dents in the frame were popped and painted), the right side of the fork was weeping, the brake pads as well as the tires were basically gone, and all the plastics had been painted with a weird red-orange metallic paint that turned yellow in the sun. On top of this I've had several people I trust tell me the guy's a sketchball and he was asking about a grand more than the bike should have been.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is anything else specific to the XB's that I should look for that I haven't been. I mean that bike ran perfectly, should I have bought it?
    (P.S I've fallen in love with the XB9's and 12's so I'm not looking at other types of bikes)

Lots of info if you search.

Other than typical stuff you'd look at on any bike, you'll specifically want to check:
    - steering head bearings
    - belt condition & idler bearing
    - muffler rust
    - engine case leaks
    - low rpm hesitation & shifting action (esp on pre-2006)
    - regulator/stator output & battery condition
    - primary chain slack
    - front brake rotor warping

Of course, when you are buying used, you are at the mercy of what's available, but to the extent you can choose between the 9 & 12, I think you'll be perfectly happy with a 9 which gives you the all the essence of the XB experience, usually for considerably less $ than a 12 of the same year and in comparable condition.

Of course, when you are buying used, you are at the mercy of what's available
    If you can point me in the direction of brand new Buell's I'll gladly follow :p

Thank you for those point's I'll be sure to pay attention to them when looking at bikes in the future.

If you can point me in the direction of brand new Buell's I'll gladly follow
    I think Erik still has a few new 2012 1190RSs for $40,000 ea!

hahaha I wish! Too bad I want a bike with a more upright riding position and naked/streetfighter looks, but I certainly wouldn't say no if someone gave one to me.
    I'm excited to see what the RX, SX, and AX turn out like.