Howdy all I'm new on here, while not new to two wheeled motor vehicles I am new to larger displacement road going bikes. I've been perusing craigslist and the for sale section of this site for about a year now looking for a bike I want. Every now and then I'll go look at one but I'm never pleased with the condition or the price. For instance I went and looked at an 03 XB9s the other day. Turns out it had been down on both sides (The dents in the frame were popped and painted), the right side of the fork was weeping, the brake pads as well as the tires were basically gone, and all the plastics had been painted with a weird red-orange metallic paint that turned yellow in the sun. On top of this I've had several people I trust tell me the guy's a sketchball and he was asking about a grand more than the bike should have been.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is anything else specific to the XB's that I should look for that I haven't been. I mean that bike ran perfectly, should I have bought it?
(P.S I've fallen in love with the XB9's and 12's so I'm not looking at other types of bikes)