Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint and tail chop

All of my supplies for the entire paint project were less than $50 total. I guess it would have been more if this were a metal tank, but since it was plastic, i just used rattle cans from walmart. the green was one of the camo green paints they have with the rest of the spray paints, and there is a matte finish clear coat over it.

For chopping the tail, ill direct you to another thread. This is what i used to plan my tail chop.
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...on-my-01-blast

so you just spray painted it camo green then coated it with mat finish?

more or less, yes. If you are carefull and patient you can get rattle can paint jobs lookin just fine. just make sure to take your time with your entire project. The matte clear coat was the hardest to find. i think that was the only thing i couldnt find at walmart.

until you spill some gasoline or brake fluid on it, or it sits in the sun for very long. The truth is rattle can just doesnt hold up very well, YES,, you can get a good look, its just not durable, Even real auto paint can peel, fade or bubble,, but its far more durable and can be very resistant to damage, not to mention touched up or repaired.

But that is a super cool paint job,,,,,,, congratulations, nice work.

did you buy new plastics and paint them, or did you strip down the old ones, or just paint over the old paint couldn't tell in the pics if they were new or striped.

@Annoyance - Thank you, I had a feeling the lifetime durability of the spray can paint might not be fantastic. But, at the same time, it was fun as hell doin the paint job, and im thinking about re doing this over next winter. Not sure what yet, or if i will. Im also looking into an automotive clearcoat, to put over whatever i decide to do next time. Id think that should hold up better than spray can clear coat.

@justin, I sanded the old plastic down real good, before i painted. when i was working on the paint job, i had a budget of about $20 every other week. Had to make do with what i had.

Great job on the paint!!

I thought about doing this with mine. Never got around to it ha. Looks great, love the worthog mouth on the tank!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12