Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECMSPY Fan Logic for Summer

I haven't been on in awhile! but I am excited to share some knowledge I learned just by using the google search function and forum searches...YAY!!! LOL

Ok, I have an '05 XB9SX and it is approaching summertime here in Vegas...already hit 103 degrees last week and my bike is starting to cook!! So once again I have wrapped my headers with some of that super cool Lava Rock Exhaust Wrap. I think its like a generic version of DEI Titanium but made by a company called Vulcan? Anywho, I also did some research and figured out how to drop my cooling fan key-on temps! I changed the value so instead of kicking on at a blistering 428 deg F and shutting off at 356 deg F, it will kick on at 392 deg F and turn off at 338 deg F. I also changed the values for the Key-Off control very slightly. I guess I only have one question, What is your opinion on the new temperature settings for the fan control? I'd rather the fan run longer than my bike overheat...and I figure in the winter, I'll just load the regular eeprom into the ecm. Basic i know, BUT I sure am excited about it!! :D:D:D

Here is a picture of the values I changed

Any more information on the offsets and conversion from degrees F to whatever the values you put in are?

I started out HERE and read through this forum topic. Then from there I went to ECMSPY'S Website. On the left side under Specific Information, you can click on your ECM Identification. On the next page it will have a list for the ecm row/column values. For example...for ecm type BUEIB, and I want to change the "Fan Key-On On Temperature", I scroll down the list and click the link. You should end up HERE. The offset should read (0x01f2) for ecm type BUEIB. Ok so what does that mean? Well, pull up your eeprom in ecmspy, and offset (0x01f2) will translate into Row 1F0 and Column 02...in those columns you'll see two letters, two numbers, or a letter and a number. It's all in hexidecimal....BUT...ecmspy makes it easy look on the bottom of the screen an you'll see where it says OLD & NEW. This is the value the hexidecimal translates into. If you look at the picture I posted the value reads 150. if you want to change it, I just used the little - or + icons to the left and right of the hexidecimal value at the bottom. but that is not all...you should have seen a this, "Note: For variables that have a scaling factor and/or a translational offset given, use this formula to calculate the output value:
    output_value = (EEPROM_value * scale) + translate"
    . Now go back to the webpage that has the info for the "Fan Key-On On Temperature"....it will have the SCALE you use and the TRANSLATE value. So you should see that the SCALE is 1.000000 and the TRANSLATE value is 50.000000. NOW PLUG IT ALL IN TO THE EQUATION output_value = (EEPROM_value * scale) + translate = output-value = (150 * 1.000000) + 50.000000....AND that all equals 200 degrees celcius (or 392 degrees fahrenheit)

I hope that helps...that is exactly how I did it since I'm not too savvy on all the programming stuff. I did the conversions for every value I changed in the eeprom and it has been working to the desired temp ranges this past week.

Very nice write up! Going through a heat wave here so I'll be doing the same thing. Cheers!

Sounds good

Ok cool write up I too am not good with the programming of the ecm but what about just adding a right side scoop? Or are you sitting in a lot of traffic? I personally have never been to vegas but it does get hot here in Virginia and I too do not want my bike to over heat. I get sick of the fan running non stop on them hot days when Im sitting in traffic on 95 and not moving.

Very smart!

My bike has a right side air scoop and I wrapped my header...it's just hard to keep the engine cool when its 110 degrees outside. So far the fan logic adjustments help a ton with heat related detonation and pinging!

i PM'ed you also about this because i dont get how you converted 0x01f2 hex decimal into Row 1F0 and Column 02. i have searched everywhere and this is the only thread even close to answering my question but still cant figure it out

0x01F2 is the location where the information is stored in the ECM. Ignore the 0x0. The next two is row. 1F0. (all the rows will have a zero as the last digit). The last digit is the column. In this case column 02. (all the columns will have a 0 as the first digit)

So for example......
    0x02DA is ......
    Row- 2D0
    Column- 0A

See where the two zeros get added between the row and column? Clear as mud? Any questions feel free to ask in the open here so everyone can benefit. I will try my best to help you! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast