Thread: Oil sweating cases and clutch slip

Hello All,

I recently bought a 2000 cyclone with 24000 miles. I have put about 650 miles on it so far in about 1 week. I have kinda beat on the bike meaning I have rarely ridden slowly. Prior to this the bike had not been run in about two years.

The bike was mechanic owned and he did all necessary fluid changes and adjustments.

Two issues. Firstly there appears to be a bit of oil sweating coming from the front of the engine case behind the oil filter. It is definitely coming from where the cases mate together right behind the oil filter. Not the base gasket and not the rocker boxes. It is a very small amount. Is this something that I should be concerned about.
    I opened the stock filter box to find that there was a certain amount of blow by oil that had collected there. Is this normal?
    The oil level in the tank is good. I check it hot, on the side stand and it shows up between the two fill lines.

Second I think the clutch might be slipping. It only happens in first gear and only when the bike is not fully warmed up. When I shift from first to second the bike will increase in rpms but not go faster until something grabs and then the bike lurches forward. It is very very brief. Once the bike is warmed up it doesnt happen. Does this sound like a slipping clutch?

I have yet to check the clutch adjustment but I will as I will be changing the clutch cable out because I think the one in there now is quite old.

Thanks Dave

The cases leaking might be something that you would want to look into fixing or at least keep an eye on it. Would hate to have to see you tear the would hate to see you have to tear the whole motor apart just to fix that if it is not that bad. As for the oil in the air box that is where Harley have the great idea to vent the crank to nothing really to worry about there just is another mess spot I have found. For the clutch I would change your cable then adjust the throw out bearing and see if it still slips if so you might have some wear there and either get a bigger pressure spring or a barrnet pressure plate. Other option is you could just buy new disks and put them in if the steels are still good really comes down to the $$$. I would also find out if you can if the old owner used the Syn3 oil in the clutch case that stuff sucked so bad they put it out there and said it could be used for all but turns out it makes the clutches slip and then you have to buy new disks. Hope this helps