Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: random sputter, check engine light, weird idle

What cam would you suggest. Just for future reference. My air filter will be here soon. I stall and reset tps and afv and see what happens.

Check your spark plug wires and the boots on both ends. Look closely for any wear or cracks in the boots. Sounds like you could be throwing spark which would cause those symptoms.

Chetjay.....good idea. Simple but I didn't even think about it. Changed plugs a few weeks ago. Didn't change wires. Could have a crack or tear. Will look today.

Ecmspy said o2 sensor. Changed it and idles better. Sputter went away and no other codes. But when you let off the throttle the rpms stay up to long. After that's fixed and I would say its good to go.

I had the same problems with my bike after it warmed up. So i though it was a intake manifold gasket, I bought the gasket and started to take the manifold off and said F it I didn't have the right tools to do the whole job. Come to find out when putting everything back together one of my manifold bolts was loose like finger tight so i tighten it up and no more problem. Also fixed my bike getting really hot quick even in cold temps( like 35 deg).
    Hope my little story can help you out .

02 sensors are expandable with high performance mods to. Some people disconnect them especially when running open headers. The plug wires would cause the symptoms when they become heat/weather damaged. The intake is always suspect with bolts/boots/sensors and other stuff connected to them. As far as a cam, u'll need a race cam to compliment the other mods. Maybe even adjustable push rods. Smaller cam less duration, bigger cam more duration.

well when i first got the bike it was running rough. took it to the mechanics and they said intake leak was thier guess but when they checked for a intake leak they couldnt find anything. so i did some tuning on ecmspy and what not and it was better but the rpms still took to long to come down to idle. been doing that ever since. ill check the bolts but i assue they would of seen the intake leak when they checked for it. the o2 sensor is new and so is the iat sensor. tps reset done today as well after replacing the sensors.

the rpms seem fine when its first started up but a few minutes of riding and they stay up to long after the throttle is released. i can only see the front set of bolts. rear cylinder set is covered, lol. gonna buy some carb cleaner and check for intake leak myself. maybe the mechanic missed it or maybe its bigger now and easier to find. il know tomorrow.

The rpm thing is normal it's referred to as buell hang up. Rpm stops at 2,000 to 2,100 only when the bike bike is nice and hot. (Al @ american sport bike) www.americansportbike.com THESE GUYS ROCK ! I would recommend to all buell owners... The sputtering and engine light flashing is a new trick on my bike as well ..... I have had a micron exhaust system and race open air box kit on for well over 35k miles ...46k on the bike. Recently ( last 8k ) only after an extended time at 75 mph plus the engine light flashes and motor sputters as if running out of gas... If i just roll off the gas for three to five seconds then bike on bike is back to normal ..? Not to boast but my bike is pristine. And i have done EVRYTHING ! Lol frustrated because these damn buells get spendy but I just love my Uly to much ! The one and only thing I have not done yet is the fule pump... being as its in the frame and HD wants $800 . They say mine pressures up just fine but pressure and flow are two very different things... I'm feeling really lost on this one and dont want to drop the cash just to find the problem unsolved. If anyone has any help I would greatly apricieate it. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123