Thread: Key Switch Fuse - Mine Blows

First of all, I know many people have had this problem, and I have done many searches on the forum, but none seems to describe the problem I am having

What began as a likely regulator problem (battery wouldn't hold charge) has turned into something else entirely. I was all set to order and replace the regulator, and had to jump the bike to get it to run long enough to assure myself that was the problem.

When I went to jump the bike, the leads from the two terminals of the battery touched, there was a spark, and I dropped what I was doing.

Now, every time I turn the key, the Key Switch Fuse blows. Come to think of it, the whole situation blows. The bike is an '08 Firebolt, with MAYBE 4,000 miles, that I bought from another user here.

Two of my buddies with Hondas are laughing at me for having a nearly new bike that doesn't run, and one of them keeps telling me to take it to the dealership.

Unfortunately, not only does my dealership charge $85/hr, but they also do a terrible job of acting like they care about the bike. I went in to randomly check on my bike one day, and while I was talking to the service manager, I noticed a tech slyly move from the Harley he was working on, to my bike, acting like he was checking things - when I knew good and well the bike was waiting on parts! Why would you PRETEND to be working on it?

I REALLY don't want to take the bike to the dealer, simply because of this behavior, and also because I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars to let them have the last laugh.

All I know to do is check for exposed wires. I've looked everywhere I can, without taking the bike apart to check the covered wiring. Randy Hawkins of Hawk Performance Mufflers suggested that I check the ignition module, thinking I had blown it when I crossed the battery terminals. As soon as I get the tools to pull and check the module, I will.

Other than that, I am still looking for more information. I simply REFUSE to take it to the dealer unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
    - Roger (Jan)

Inactive
    roger: i have to agree with randy that if in fact you crossed the battery terminals you may very well have ruined your bikes' ECM and there's no repair for that other than replacement. can't tell you for certain without actually seeing your bike but my thinking is a fried ecm

It turned out to be a $5.00 starter relay. Thank God.

Back to the voltage regulator to fix the battery problem.