Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: well stator went out. Think I am going to DIY it. Have some questions

Well was coming home from the Memorial Day weekend, and watched my engine light then my battery light kick on about 30 miles from home. I presumed the worst, so I switched over to my voltage and battery level indications mode. Sure enough the engine is way too warm for the cruising I ws doing, and the voltage is already mid 12s. The only thing I could think of was racing the clock see how far I could limp it home. I got about 6 miles away and system voltage was flashing across the dash and knew it was coming and was going to at least downshift and release the clutch at least once and would lose power so I was going to do it with an expectation. So I did it with plenty of shoulder to pull over and sure enough the moment I shifted between 6th and 5th the engine dies, and I tried to jump start while cruising, no luck. So I glided off and called my buddy with a trailer.

I didn't find out about the start issues with the 09's until after I paid cash,if I would have been hunting down a '08. In any case I have the bike, and like it way to much on a performance basis to let a charging system stand in the way of such a great ride and bike. I am already daydreaming of telling people how I rewound my own stator and can stand behind the quality of the build.

I am going to follow hildstrom's advice on the stator rewind and ferris's advice on the series regulator.

http://projects.baf.cc/pdf/motorcycl...gingsystem.pdf
    http://hildstrom.com/projects/buellstator/

Anyone hear any other status updates on the bikes/stator?
    Should I just have it shipped off for months and pay the price from a shop doing? I am pretty mechanically inclined and have pull my own motors (cars) and rebuilt engines. I'll buy whatever tools I will need and I am up for a challenge. I think I will even attempt the thermocouples so I can monitor the data after rides.

So is there any advice anyone wants to lend before I pull that cover off?

I'd suggest the EBR rotor mod for starters. Lower stator winding temps from the oil spray as I understand it.

Sorry I didn't read that whole thing. But advice. Get a new nut at the end of the stator ebr has them. And I painted my oil lines sense you have to take them off the get the cover off. And I don't like the silver.

yea i just went ahead and ordered the stator and rotor mod. I don't know why i was thinking I was going to go all purist and do it myself...Just taking this bike apart shows how little tools I have for working on bikes...

I didn't find out about the start issues with the 09's until after I paid cash,if I would have been hunting down a '08.
    You couldn't have found a CR that was an 08 fyi

Doing my own right now. Waiting on a bracket to mount the Regulator the way I want (Picky I am). It wasn't too bad, although you need the tools if you're going to follow along per specs. Impact is my best friend. The Rotor wasn't bad at all, the Stator wires are kind of a pain but doable regardless. Then it's just about wiring it up and mounting the regulator. I did like you and decided to upgrade the ECM, Exhaust, no stacks though. Wasn't too bad. Seems like every bike I buy is torn apart within the first few weeks. Tells you their life story some times.

Good luck and Enjoy.

Doc,
    you're doing a new stator? rotor? (And VR as well)
    - DIY Stator?
    - EBR Rotor?
    tia
    :)
    Not sure I've ever posted here (but I'm long time lurker & new owner.. relatively speaking)

The bike was a friends. He bought it originally from our local Harley dealership he worked at...at the time. 5000 Miles and it's been babied. Stock everything for the most part.

The day before I was going to test ride it (he was complaining of a back break issue, MC just gave way to lack of use I believe) and the bike started having charging issues on the way home from work. I came over with my VM planning to do some checks, when I pulled the Deutsch connector apart it was basically melted within the housing. Burn marks everywhere. Considering it's a when not if thing and I commute quite a lot on my bikes I figured it best to overhaul the charging system (especially considering the steal I got the bike at). Mod list below in order of necessity:

Stator from Ricks
    Regulator from roadstercycle
    EBR Rotor Mod incl, Nut, gasket, etc.
    All the necessary connectors (since the new regulator mounts externally I actually rewired the stator and both regulators. Leaving the stock one in place gives you backup should I need it and at 200# (A healthy I might add!) I'm not overly worried about weight savings.

For giggles I also bought:
    Barker Exhaust
    EBR Racing ECM fort he above
    The improved actuator, though it'll sit on my shelf until needed.

Other tidbits not worth mentioning.

So far as I stated above, the stator/rotor removal and install is straightforward and nothing to fear doing. Just plan for the rotor nut and you'll be fine. The stator wires routing is a PITA but understandable based on design. Then it's wire it up, mount the Regulator and hopefully go boom boom.

Thanks Doc
    :)
    Pretty hard knock having a melt down the day of the test ride. ..
    Mine is pretty much pure stock too. I've fixed the clutch weep. My stator is testing good still. Sure would like to upgrade before I have a similar event. After I pay my taxes maybe.

I'm doing to the rewind almost exactly as Hildstrom. Priceless learning there. I was wondering though, I can't seem to get the stator out of the ignition cover and it seems to be due to the wire's sheathing being very well glued to the inside. Is there an easy way of getting it out or am I not putting enough man into it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast