Thread: Tutorial: Changing Intake Gaskets

This tutorial will focus on the technical aspects and not every small step in getting there.This was also done without rotating the engine. If you are attempting this it is assumed you can easily remove the airbox cover, velocity stack, breather hoses, AIT sensor plug, ignition coil, Intake side scoop and rear cylinder cooling side scoop.

1) Remove the throttle cables.

2) Remove the ignition coil bracket. In order to do so you will need a 1/4" drive T27 Torx bit and a 1/4 ratchet in order to fit clear the space provided.

3) Now you can proceed to loosen the allen bolt and hex bolt that hole the intake on . Although it is recommended that you purchase a special tool to loosen this bolt, you do not need one.

In order to put a sufficient amount of torque onto the allen wrench I used a 3/8" drive extension.

4)Next is the most frustrating part. Loosening the 1/2" bolts that hold the left side of the manifold on. You need not remove these bolts. Simply loosen them. Upon placing new gaskets you will need to loosen them even more than was necessary to take the manifold off. In order to do this you will need a half moon wrench. The only other route would be a stubby wrench but you are not going to get a lot of torque to tighten the bolts back up. It can be done with a regular or stubby wrench but your frustrations will be through the roof. The half moon makes it way easier because otherwise you will only get 3 degrees of rotation at a time due to the finite working space.

This is what my gaskets looked like. My symptoms were erratic high idle and bogging down on mid range acceleration.

5) Next clean your mating surfaces.

6)Replace gaskets.

7) The most difficult part of reinstalling everything to me was putting the bolt back that holds the ignition coil. If you pinch the bolt with your two middle fingers and twist it as shown it will save you some time as opposed to trying a million different ways that I have already attempted for you.

nicely done