Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XB9S Engine Knocking Sound?

03's did have a known issue with the oil pump gear (it was made from a crappy metal) in 2004 (Or was it 05?) they came with the brass gears (I swapped mine out a couple years ago to be safe, the old one looked okay for 20k though)

My lifters are making tons of noise, but sad to say for you, it is not the same sounds you have.
    I was hoping to watch the video and think, oh that's just the lifters... but I think that is something a little deeper in the bowels of your Buells belly :-(

Im telling you before you do any thing you need to check this. Its easy to do and can make a hell of a banging noise if it came loose.

The picture would not load. Here is a link I found (sorry about it going to BadWeb)

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...777/155801.jpg

Nemoxb I will check that first. Thanks!

Motox6 it's not oil related, changed the oil during the pump gear fix, and even again after the first fire up just incase.

Thrstmech I did check the oil pump while I was in there.

I will change fuel this week since I know it needs it, and check the sprocket nut. Then if no luck it's time to pull the motor!

Read about the nut torque update, I'm in the process of fabricating the locking tool, have plenty of material to make several of them. Have to wait 'til the new plates arrive to rebuild the clutch pack before trying out the tool.

Hopefully it's just a loose nut and no other damage...if you do have to split the case, LSHD1.com has the complete seal/gasket kit for $117 and highly recommend replacing the cylinder base gaskets with cometic ones, got those from NHRS v-twin performance in Colorado for $23.

my bike sounded just like that when I got ecmspy and I tried to set my tps and messed it up the first time. It was knocking like that till I figured it out it was running very very lean. Maybe that is what the guy before you did and could not figure it out. I hope it is not a rod knock.

I needed to order an ECMSPY anyway. So before I pull the motor I will Re-check static timing, I did it with my multi meter but maybe not right, TPS reset, check the Nut torque, and fresh fuel. It does have a pinging type ring to it so maybe it's pinging not knocking. If all that fails, time to pull the motor and rip into it.

Update. Recheck static timing, It was off some, but didn't help. So It has been hard to start and keep running. I know there was some old fuel in there even though I added a couple gallons of fresh. So I drained the tank today. Will get fresh fuel tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it means anything but when I crank the bike and with fuel pump disconnected, I get no knocking or pinging sounds, just cranks like any other motor. Maybe it is pre-ignition pinging. The fact that it doesn't start or stay running tells me something fuel or electronic related is still out. I ordered an ECMSPY cable. I till reset TPS, and add fresh fuel and see what I get. Also I drained the primary and will pull the cover and check the nut in there too since I have some time till the cable arrives.

Hay josh keep us posted i'm hoping it's pre-ignition so you don't have to pull your motor.

add some Seafoam to clean the system

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast