Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bent rear rotor while removing the rear axle

As I was unscrewing the rear axle on my buell, unbeknownst to me the back wheel was being pulled to the right and it bent the rear brake disc. The caliper was still mounted up.

However I dont understand why this happeend. the axle should move freely whiting the wheel but it is as if they are fused together and when I unscrew the axle the wheel comes with it.

As anyoone even run into this?

need to put anti seize on axle,corrosion could have caused it to become one with inner races causing jack effect with wheel.

^^^What g3 said. This happened to me (didn't bend the rotor though thank goodness) the first time I removed my rear wheel. I used a rubber mallet to break the axle free from the bearings by hitting the swing-arm.

/\/\ Yep, been there...done that.

Time to upgrade.

Whoah, are you going to miss the Buell only bike night ? You have spare parts ?

yes it happens I bent one always slather the crap out of the axles with anti seeze washing with water a lot makes them hang up

Inactive
    jfman: what everyone else said above and there's plenty of serviceable used rear rotors on evilbay for sale. a corroded axles is almost always salvageable and i would wire wheel/wire brush it to clean up any corrosion. upon reassembly i put a dab of anti-seize on the large axle head which is the part encased upon assembly in the belt drive side of swingarm...a dab on the threads....and heavy axle grease onto the axle shaft itself...and a dab on the axle pinch-bolt. don't get nuts with the grease and anti-seize but nice coating will suffice.

Since I hardly ever have any anti seize handy, I just spray my axles down with a dose of chain grease ... always works good for me ... :)

Inactive
    Since I hardly ever have any anti seize handy, I just spray my axles down with a dose of chain grease ... always works good for me
    yes sir....that works nicely as well and good suggestion. chain wax has a ton of uses other than lubing chains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast