Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPR willing to build a steering stabilizer for the Ulysses!

I tried to install the GPR setup on the 08 Uly and the standoff mount on the frame/airbox moves around quite a bit. Enough to make a scratch into the frame. Everything was installed and torqued per the instructions.

I called GPR and spoke to Loren. After sending him a few pics, it appeared the damper itself was sitting about 10mm "in front of" the steering stem. Loren confirmed with his engineer that since it's sitting "high" the "arc" of the damper arm is off thereby causing all the moment in the frame/airbox standoff.

They checked their Lightning mounts and they all spec'ed out.

Has anyone else had this issue? What was your resolution? I see in Buellybagger's posts something about his not lining up.

GPR would like to have a Uly to properly gauge the mounting position, but I'm in Michigan and they're in Cali. I'm going to do the best I can with a micrometer and a straight edge when I get home later. Loren said they could machine a mount but it would take some time even IF I was able to give proper measurement.

Kinda don't know what to do? A dampener would really compliment my application of the Uly and resolve some high speed issues to make this the perfect bike for me. If I wait too long, I can't return damper.
    Stupid first world problems. ;)

The Lightning version doesn't fit on my 09. The mount is too far above the bolt that the steering head rotates on, causing the arm to be too short when turning left or right. This also has the affect of making the mount to the frame to short.

I've discussed this with Randy from GPR and he said they need a triple tree (top only) from a 08+ Ulysses to get the correct dimensions to build a steering mount for the GPR that fits.

The 06-07 has a different triple clamp design.

2008 Model Year changes

New 47mm front forks replace the previous 43 mm forks. Secured with a new triple clamp design, this new front end improves the torsional rigidity of the entire chassis. Fork flex is reduced during hard braking for improved stability and feedback.
    Steering sweep lock-to-lock is increased to 74 degrees from 54 degrees to reduce the turning radius in off-road low-speed maneuvers. New off-set triple clamps maintain the 23.5 degree rake and 4.8 inch trail.

Credits go to Bad Web for having this information available...

/\ there ya have it, so the Lightning kit will fit 06-07 uly's not 08+. Bummer

Hope someone can get the parts or a bike to GPR to get one fabbed up for those bikes!

As a road bike i think the Ulysses really benefits from the GPR alot! IMO since it is sooo tall and big that at high speed it is a little more prone to wobble from wind buffeting, not only that, but im betting Uly riders do higher speeds on nastier roads that most other buell riders which is another situation that head shake could be an issue.

No one near San Diego willing do drop off 08+ Uly for a short time? I just got off the phone with GPR and they told me depending on what needs to be fabricated it will only take from about four hours to four days. I'm in Vegas and it just seems a little far but would love a steering stabilizer for my 09. Please help.

Just remember that we sell them if any of you plan to buy one!

Has there been any update on this? I just bought an 08 Ulysses and would love to have a GPR damper for it.

The company just needs a Ulysses for anywhere from 4 hours to 5 days depending on what needs to be changed and no one is willing to drop one off. I am but I live in Vegas and can't seem to justify a trip to Cali with truck and trailer. I have talked to GPR a few times and they told me they are actively looking for one to use and will post on their site with any updates. Do you happens to live in Southern California?

Should search southern cali craigslist for a uly for sale and ask the guy if he'll run it over top gpr for a few weeks LOL

I've already offered to send the parts there in exchange for a damper (several times). No one has told me where to send them or who to contact.

I emailed GPR yesterday and offered to purchase an 08 upper triple clamp to help fabrication, but Randy replied today with "Sorry we would need the whole bike for 1-2 weeks." Bummer. If we keep this thread alive long enough someone should be close enough to drop their 08 Uly.

@BambamXB12r Unfortunately I live in Northern Virginia, being as you're so close would you be willing to drive your Uly there if enough forum members compensated you for your troubles. I'd be in for $100 in reimbursement? Please! Please! Please!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast