Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECMspy fuel maps strange numbers

Brand new to Buells, purchased a 2005 XB12R with a Jardine full exhaust, K&N filter and EBR "race only" ECM. The bike has some minor issues that I thought I might be able to correct in the fuel maps (detonation on deceleration, rough running first 5-10 minutes of riding, etc).

I purchased a cable off Ebay, downloaded ECMspy and pulled my ECM. Identifies as BUEGB231, which is correct for what the module should be. However, my fuel maps are so different from both "stock" and "race" ECMs I have downloaded as to be unrecognizable.

Is this a custom map someone made and uploaded to the ECM?

I've tried putting the stock GB231 fuel map on it and the bike will barely run, misfires, etc.

As an amateur and not much of a motorhead, I'm tempted to take the bike to a local tuner, but the $400 he charges is awfully steep.

Any help would be appreciated!

Frawg

How does It run after the first 5-10 mins of riding??... Serious question...

Not perfect, but better. Will still detonate on deceleration (even on some upshifts) and torque below 2500rpm is nonexistent (I know it will be lower, but I have to rev the motor to even launch from stops).

I've done a TPS reset and reset AFV to 100% (was at 105.3%), and the bike will barely idle cold. FYI I'm in Texas and the temps here are 95-100F.

Set your AFV to 110% report back.
    Also did you put your timing maps to stock or just fuel tables?

I thought ecm spy didn't work with the EBR ecm.... is race use only printed or in graved on the ecm?

Using ECMspy, I saved map from what should be an original GB231. Load my EEPROM, load the map from the original GB231, clicked Burn Maps.

Changing AFV to 110% gave an immediate improvement to behavior. Took a very short (around the block) test ride and I could detect only minor detonation. Idle after start was still very low (800-900) and trying to die for the first 30 seconds.

Any explanation of the strange fuel maps in my eeprom? Should I touch them? Is my next step data collection with the laptop in a backpack?

It does say "Race Use Only" on it. As far as I can tell I can read and write to it, with both ECMspy and TunerPro (although that is definitely for pros, far too arcane for a novice). Is it not getting correct values because of this?

Slow down. Youre assuming the "stock" and race maps you downloaded are what they say. Never trust any map you find online. Also sounds like you have not adjusted timing numbers.

Set the AFV to 115% start. Assume youve done the TPS reset properly as well. Now, get on it take it down the highway and back for about 15 minutes ride it as you would any day of the week pretending everything is good. When you return what has your AFV changed to?

After the ride AFV shows 105.

And I appreciate the help. I've been pulling my hair out. Sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself.

How did the ride feel?

So wev established generally you are generally <-- emphasis generally... Adding fuel to your tables. Your AFV is in a good range. I will mention your timing tables one last time, compare your "race fuel map"a general rule of thumb is as long as those numbers are higher you are safe.

What i suspect is your fuel tables are lean and your timing is too advanced leading to detenation until your AFV has had the chance to adjust.... Orrrr.... You just arent use to a Buell engine and it seems ****ed up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast