Thread: New Blast owner.....

I picked up a 2009 Blast with 48xx miles. it was a rider edge bike so i know it was droppped at least a few times but seems to only have a few minor scapes. Nothing worse than what my dirt bikes have seen. I was ridding a tw200 with street tires, so this narrower rear tire is taken a bit to get used to. I have normally done all my own maintenance and hope to do the same on this bike. But i do have a few questions.

1) It still has the stock tires and im sure it needs new tires. I keep seeing different suggestions, but what are the longest lasting tires? Most my riding is 90% cmmuting 17 miles on way.3-4 times a week.

2)Is it any harder changing street bike tires than dirt bike tires?

3) when squeezing the clutch lever it hits the grips. After I noticed this it reminded me the trashed levers on my dirt bikes after a nasty spill. Also makes shifting from 1st to 2nd a bit noisy. Plus the clutch lever doesnt match the brake lever. Does this sound corect?

4) As for power it seems to have enough for me for now, but i would like the bike to be louder. Any way of doing this with out having to rejet the carb?

5) best place to buy buell parts?

6)anything else to look at, watch out for?

Ok.... Here we go.... Starting from the top

*deep breath*

Welcome to the forum!!...

1)I've had good luck and very long life out of Michelin pilot Road 2's...and they handle very well... I hear the pirelli angels are good also but have no experience with them... Bridgestone BT021'S or BT023's would be my next choice probably...

2) As long as you have the right tools and take your time... No.. Plus, no tube to deal with...

3)Beings you said it used to be a riders edge training bike that clutch lever was probably a cheap replacement... Easily replaced...

4)I'm not up to speed with available aftermarket exhausts for the blast... Or any mods that can be done to them... If jetlee were handy he could probably suggest quite a few good options... He's a blast expert...

5) The sponsors to this site sell plenty of blast parts... Buellparts.net... Buellsterparts..... American sport bike.... There's a few handy right on the page...

6) Cage drivers first and foremost lol.... But seriously, since that was a training bike it's probably seen A LOT of hard hours... LOOOOOTS of long idling periods... People dropping it... Riding the clutch...

That being said I would do a very thorough front to back inspection of it... Up close and personal with the wiring, the clutch plates, and make sure every wear item was at least looked at to prevent them prematurely wearing out...Brakes... Bearings... All of it.... Those bikes can have a hard life if the shops that use them for training don't stay up on their maintenance...

1) Pirelli Diablo 140/70-16 rear and 110/70-16 front

2) No.

3) Clutch lever always touches the grip when you pull it all the way. Though if your levers don't match, someone swapped one or the other cause they should look identical (though mirrored). If shifting is abnormally loud or clunky, you may need to do a shift pawl adjustment, just follow the service manual instructions.

4) Get a Jardine exhaust system. When the packing in the can blows out, keep the header and replace the can with a SuperTrapp 4". That's the best off-the-shelf exhaust available.

5) Anywhere you can find them.

6) Oil leaks from the rockerbox, torn front isolator, torn boot, oil consumption (only check oil level when warm), re-adjust primary chain (when warm, loosen tension bolt until you hear clacking, tighten back by hand until there is barely no clacking, tighten lock nut)

^^^ see what I mean?... Lol much better info... Mine is just general...

Thanks guys,

I think my clutch issues are from my form. My dirt bike clutches dont touch and I can clutch with 2 fingers. On the blast I have to move my fingers out of the way. This I have not been use to, but I think ill get the hang of it. As well I know i stil need to check play and tolernaces.

Ill start checking for tires an dtry to chnage them myself. I just cant see paying the 150-200 for labor that I have been quoted.

Also Ill start looking for an exhaust /possibly a used one to get the super trap sooner.

One more question, I have tore apart and rebuilt many carbs on smaller bikes, is there any rear difference with this carb say opposed to a carb on my tw200s? I know the carbs are different models.

Welcome! =]

Since the blast rims are 16 you can get away with putting scooter tires on them. I have a pair of shinkos that seem to be doing really well. Best part is it was under $100 for both the front and rear on motorcycle super store.

The blast levers are slightly different from each other. Call Al at American Sportbike and he can get you a pair. If you still have the Micky mouse mirrors ask him on replacing those too. :p

Good luck!

One more question, I have tore apart and rebuilt many carbs on smaller bikes, is there any rear difference with this carb say opposed to a carb on my tw200s? I know the carbs are different models.
    The CV40 carb is too easy.

However ... DO NOT "CLEAN" IT!!!!!!

If you "clean" your carb by any means other than blowing the hell out of it with carb cleaner and air, I will stop posting in your threads. More often than not, people tweak the float or completely forget a part yet insist they did it correctly when two months later my point was proven that they f'd it up.

Watch these before messing with anything:
    http://buellridersonline.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8291

I agree with what your saying about cleaning it. My normal cleaning for a carb would be nothing more than carb claner. air and time. Normally Ill use 3-4 cans of carb cleaner on one carb, just because I want it clean as possible without damaging any passages. And for me if it involves many parts to be replaced its been easier to buy a new carb and start from there.

I'll start looking at those videos..... but for the last 2 days its been awesome to ride