Thread: Problem with tacho needle and blinkers

Hi

I'm having some problems with my tacho needle and blinkers. Bike is 2004 XB12S.

I changed the dashboard template to one from xbdashboard.com. When I turn key on both gauges do the check as they should but after I start the engine tachometer gets sticky between 1000-1500rpm. It stays stable in showing something between those rpms. If I twist the throttle just a little between 1000-1500rpm my tachometer won't react or the the reaction will be "jumpy", it doesn't follow rpms smoothly as it should. This doesn't appear if rpms rise above 1500rpm.

Any help here?

And my blinkers. After doing the dashboard change my right side blinkers started to blink like twice as fast as left side. Both right side front and rear blinkers still blink but speed is too fast. It has some miniblinkers with normal bulbs.

Any help here too??

Thank you.

When you pulled your original template, was there a lot of adhesive under it? Maybe it is to much or not smooth enough and some is rubbing on the tach needle axle. Or maybe the new template isn't laying completely flat - and has a slight bubble the needle catches on between 1000-1500.

For the blinkers - when you removed and reinstalled the gauge cluster - did you inadvertently move the flasher unit? are the contacts of the flasher touching anything they should not be? if not - trying swapping bulbs from right to left - and see what happens. Check for corrosion in the bulb sockets while you have them out.

Rusty.

Just a little adhesive under the old template, not too much. I need to disassemble my gauge once more to see if there's anything rubbing against the tach needle axle. But the new template is definitely laying there just as it should so it's not the template that's causing this. It just makes me wonder why the key-on check runs smooth without any problems.

I think I didn't move the flasher unit while working with the gauge cluster. I already checked the flasher unit contacts but there was nothing wrong I think. Need to check the flasher wiring a little better once I have time for that.

Found out the reason for the blinker problem. My bike has mini blinkers so it had these extra resistors wired to blinkers. I didn't realise those at first but when I found them I also noticed that one wire to the resistor was only attached by its insulation so no electric contact. Took both resistors out and changed my blinker relay to electric one. So now they work just fine.

I still haven't found out the reason for my tacho needle no working as it should. I disassembled my gauge cluster a couple of times more and now the tacho needle might work just a little better than before but still not like it really should.